Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,860   Posts: 1,583,147   Online: 871

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

790mm F:5.4 ULF Lens Now Available

It's finally here and ready for your inspection...

This lens was prompted by Craig T's request for a lens fast enough for alternative photography to cover his 20x24 Chamonix as well as for his mobile Ford Transit Van ("Australia's largest mobile camera") shooting 24"x32" ambrotypes and ferrotypes. Another customer wanted to make life-size portraits with his caravane (trailer). And there are those who are resurrecting the old Century Studio cameras. Let's not forget the folks designing and building their own cameras...

This is a custom ground lens using the same optical glass as in premium camera filters.
    The diameter and focal length was selected to result in a fast (f:5.4) lens that would project an image circle of at least 1200mm (±48") for negatives/plates of up to 24x30". In reality, the lens covers 32x40" easily and creates a striking 6' diameter camera obscura image. The lens follows the classic Wollaston meniscus design of 1812.

As with my original lenses, I use PVC materials, in this case the exterior is white PVC. A black finish would be vulnerable to white scratches. If you want brass 'cause it looks cool, the cost would be 3x. It is not small, the lensboard hole must be at least 165mm (6.5") diameter to get maximum coverage without vignetting. If you are shooting smaller, say; 16x20 or 14x18, it may be possible to adapt the lens to interface with smaller boards.

If you are used to seeing lots of flare with a shorter meniscus lens, you will be pleasantly surprised at how easy it is to use the lens. As focal length and glass diameters increase, the curvature is flatter and flare is significantly reduced. This means that there is a wider zone of transition from a soft/diffuse image to a sharp/crisp image as the lens is stopped down. To take advantage of this wider zone of image formation, I supply aperture cards in 1/2 stop intervals.

Since a 790mm focal length is quite long, depth of focus is quite short. By utilizing this fact, portraits can be composed so that the subject is in focus and the background falls out of focus quickly, This will emulate the classic sharp center/diffuse background style of historic portraiture.

The stop card slot is a bit wider so a gel filter could be taped to an aperture card for contrast control or for selective filtering according to your emulsion's chromatic response characteristics. If you want to experiment, blank cards are available for cutting into a "sink strainer" for even more diffusion control.

The basic lens package includes the lens, six aperture cards in 1/2 stop increments, one blank card as a front lens cover, mounting screws, a cleaning cloth, and a documents packet. The price is $375 plus shipping.

The accessory package includes a slip-fit front lens cap which doubles as a shutter (please specify knob style), four aperture cards (f:22, f:32, and two blank cards), an expandable folder to keep the cards organized and handy, and a birdcage awl for drilling the screw mounting holes. The price is $49 (plus shipping if ordered separately.

It's been a while getting this lens ready, thanks for your patience,
    Reinhold

www.re-inventedphotoequip.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 790 front w cap.JPG   790 back x-up.JPG   Cap, card,folder.JPG  
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    If you decide to order the lens cap kit, please let me know which knob you prefer.
    The white one is wood, painted glossy white.
    The black one is a typical pot lid knob (pedestrian, but functional).
    If you want to finish a wood knob to match your camera, I now have two styles, Mushroom and traditional English.

Reinhold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Knobs.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Some folks are using this lens in a camera obscura...

http://www.largeformatphotography.in...-Now-Available

Reinhold

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi Rein, Do you have a good portrait focal length for 8x10?
    FILM GUERILLA
    Film Photography All Day, Everyday!

FILM PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG
    FG Blog

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOOGLE+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hi FG,

For portrait length, I have a 500mm f:6.9 with an 880mm image circle.
    The next option is 335mm f:5.6 with a 510mm circle.
    I'd consider 335mm to be too short for portrait work, but that's your choice.

Reinhold

Here's a summary of my current offerings, plus a drawing of the general configuration:
    Attached Files

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Thanks. I've contacted you about KMV board before. If ever i will get a lens i hope i could get one with a KMV lensboard.
    335mm is too short for me and the 500mm is a bit long. I was thinking of 360-410mm but let see.

Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by Reinhold View Post
    Hi FG,

For portrait length, I have a 500mm f:6.9 with an 880mm image circle.
    The next option is 335mm f:5.6 with a 510mm circle.
    I'd consider 335mm to be too short for portrait work, but that's your choice.

Reinhold

Here's a summary of my current offerings, plus a drawing of the general configuration:
    Last edited by Film Guerilla; 06-25-2013 at 04:21 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    FILM GUERILLA
    Film Photography All Day, Everyday!

FILM PHOTOGRAPHY BLOG
    FG Blog

FACEBOOK | TWITTER | GOOGLE+

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    You folks have been keeping me quite busy lately...

Reinhold
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_0682.JPG  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Reinhold,

I'm completing my Rosewood / Ebony 11x14 view camera, when the last two knobs arrive from Germany that is. Besides my Artars and Others what can you recommend for a "normal" to "long" lens? Schneider, Nikon, or Fuji in Copal shutter with a 360 - 450 range? Or an older lens? Even with long exposures I still like a shutter.

Curt
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Hello Kurt,

Some time ago, I made a drawing which extrapolates the data in a nomograph I found in a Kodak Technical Handbook.

Using the traditioal rule of thumb which suggest that a "normal" lens focal length is about the same as the diagonal of the film, a "normal" lens for 11x14 would be about 450mm.

By the Kodak data, 450mm would be considered a "short normal" (120mm on a 4x5).
    I use a 450 on my 8x20 Canham as a "short normal" lens. (8x20 diagonal is the same as 11x14)

By Kodak, 600mm is closer to a tru "normal" for 11x14 and 8x20. (165mm on a 4x5)
    I use a 600mm on my 8x20 as a "normal normal" lens.

By Kodak data, "moderate telephoto" would be in the 760 to 850mm range. (200~210mm on a 4x5)
    I use a 760mm Rodenstock Apo-Ronar as my "moderate telephoto" lens on my 8x20.

My .pdf graphic may be a bit hard to read, I made the lines and text too small, but here it is four your edification...

Oh, and if you're asking if I have a lens for sale, that 760 Apo-Ronar is available here:
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...copal-3-a.html

Reinhold
    Attached Files

Shooter
    Large Format

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin