Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,926   Posts: 1,522,124   Online: 802

Shooter
    Multi Format

FS: Ansco 122 Film/Plate Camera Dream Outfit

No, seriously, if you shoot 122 film (and who doesn't?) or, more importantly, if you want to shoot glass plates, or cut film the size of glass plates, you need this outfit. This is all you need, complete: Camera, plate back adaptor, four original and still good condition double plate holders, lens attachments, the works.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ansco2.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	193.4 KB 
ID:	70828

All in really very nice, hardly used condition. Not too shabby for a camera made in 1907. Shutter works, bellows are solid. Gem of an outfit.

Name:	ansco3.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	195.1 KB 
ID:	70829

I bought this 35 years ago from an antique shop in Salt Lake City -- it was in a huge wooden carrying case, obviously owned by a serious shooter, and if you want that wooden box too we can talk, but it's heavy, sort of like a large carpenter's box, home-made. Would cost a lot of money to ship.

Can you image the images it captured? Salt Lake City in 1907-- horse and buggy days, World War I wasn't even on the horizon yet. I had visions of using this camera, but being lazy never got around to it. Now I'm more into pinhole (ZeroImage!) and using my Speed Graphic.

The camera is an Ansco No. 10, model B, which used 122 roll film. The camera bed is that lovely red polished wood they used to use in serious cameras. The lens raises and lowers, goes left and right. All controls are smooth and clean. Body is covered in what I believe is sealskin, real leather, and is in remarkable condition, no wear spots, no dried and powdered spots.

Ansco Automatic shutter sounds pneumatic and reasonably accurate at all speeds. Lens stops all the way down to a marked f-128 or thereabouts. That's practically pinhole territory.

Name:	ansco7.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	213.0 KB 
ID:	70831

Name:	ansco8.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	155.3 KB 
ID:	70832

The camera has two backs. There is a regular red window roll film back for when you are shooting roll film. It also has the accessory plate film back. There's a lever inside the front of the camera, under the top plate, that you shift to the right and the back comes off. Either back is clipped back on. The camera does not, as do some others, have a separate focusing scale for the plate and film backs, so you have to use the ground glass back to focus.

Original case is here. Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ansco4.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	168.0 KB 
ID:	70833

Plate holders use glass plates that are 3 1/4 by 5 1/2 inches, and you can measure this with precision because this set includes two boxes of film plates. Sadly, both have been opened, so you can't use the plates unless you want to re-coat them. The four double-plate holders are lovely, polished wood, good condition, and fit the camera perfectly.

Name:	ansco6.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	175.5 KB 
ID:	70834 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ansco9.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	189.2 KB 
ID:	70835 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ansco5.jpg 
Views:	38 
Size:	193.2 KB 
ID:	70846

There's also a yellow filter and portrait lens attachment, in their original boxes.

Name:	ansco1.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	182.2 KB 
ID:	70836

Seriously, it's all here, a lovely display item or something to use to the amazement of all. Tintypes would work well in this -- i shot a few back when you could buy the plates pre-coated -- and perhaps even wet plate, I dunno for sure. Cut film, paper negatives, positive paper would be easy.

Anyway, $200 for the whole thing, plus $20 shipping anywhere in the US of A and I'll make a $10 donation to APUG in your name.

First money gets it -- my email and paypal are both summicron12000@yahoo.com.

As always, pick it up in Ogden, Utah, and I buy you lunch with Polygamy Porter beer thrown in, no extra charge. Tell your friends you tried Polygamy in Utah!

Questions?

Thanks for looking.

Charles Trentelman
    Ogden, UT

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Wow, I even have a roll of Verichrome Pan in 122 size! Never knew what the cameras that would use it looked like. Cool. Good luck with your offering,
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    It would produce a pretty big picture. If nobody bites I may get some of that positive paper and give it a whirl ... these old optics do fun things.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    hi charles:

what a great camera!
    if i didn't already have a graflex 3A autographic and a kodak 3a folder
    i would buy this in a heartbeat !

with the roll back on you can trim barely a few mm of paper off the long edge of 5x7 paper
    and expose a beautiful full frame 3.25x5.50 image on it. i do it all the time with my graflex

good luck with your sale, it is worth way-more than your asking price seeing the
    accessory / plate back is as rare as hen's teeth !

john
    Ես այլեւս չի պատասխանելու իմ էլեկտրոնային փոստով
    եթե դուք պետք է ինձ դիմեք ինձ միջոցով իմ կայքը կամ բլոգում

Shooter
    Multi Format
    pm sent ill take it

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by jnanian View Post
    hi charles:

what a great camera!
    if i didn't already have a graflex 3A autographic and a kodak 3a folder
    i would buy this in a heartbeat !

with the roll back on you can trim barely a few mm of paper off the long edge of 5x7 paper
    and expose a beautiful full frame 3.25x5.50 image on it. i do it all the time with my graflex

good luck with your sale, it is worth way-more than your asking price seeing the
    accessory / plate back is as rare as hen's teeth !

john
    well, i was guessing. My loss is Brooklyn's gain -- and he's a teacher, so educator's discount applies.

The camera alone in mckowen's is so-so, but the back and holders are what makes it. I'm happy if I get this. I've got several other really nice kodaks I can play with to make prints as well.

ct
    Last edited by summicron1; 06-28-2013 at 01:44 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    sold and shipped. Thank you very much!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Really nice sale Charles.

An education, a story and a deal.

Lucky buyer!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin