Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,921   Posts: 1,584,939   Online: 1030

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    I tried, even cross referenced on both threads haha, oh well, I admittedly was probably the one to convince him into the 1V in the first place. I sold my 1N for a 1V haha. But both are great canards and this price is a STEAL!

~Stone | Sent w/ iPhone using Tapatalk
    What are the differences between the 1v and 1n?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Roger Cole View Post
    What are the differences between the 1v and 1n?
    Mainly the N has 3 auto focus points, the V has about 45!

And the V is much faster, more water/dust resistant, and has memory storage, you can download shooting data to a spreadsheet on the computer so you don't have to log any shots, it will tell you your f stop and aperture, distance of focus(I think) and camera you were using, time of day if you want, etc I think it may do film speed too, it's basically like a digital in that respect, but takes film so you can focus on shooting and not feel the pressure to spend time recording everything on paper.

So that's some of the better functions of the 1V, oh and along with the 45 auto Focus points, it's metering matrix is extensive to give a better exposure based on light on the entree scene (advanced weighted metering) and much more I'm probably forgetting.

They both share the same power winder/motor drive, the 1V with motor drive will do 10 fps... Silly... But good for birding and sports (finish line) type photography.

Not sure what important things I'm forgetting but the 1V was a revolutionary product.
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yea, I would say the most significant diff is the autofocus.
    The 1n was the predecessor to the 1v so technology moves on so they say.
    IDK if the V is any better weather sealed as they were both Canon's top pro cameras at time of manufacture but I guess it's possible.

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    As a 1V owner:

1. You will never even remotely use those 45 points. If anything you'll probably set the thing to zone out on it's own and not mess with it.
    2. You will never download data from it because a: who cares, b: you won't find the cable, c: you won't find the software.
    3. The 1N is a perfectly usable EF autofocus body that will burn film all day and night with the best of them. At the price Bruce has it at, it's quite a decent deal.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    As a 1V owner:

1. You will never even remotely use those 45 points. If anything you'll probably set the thing to zone out on it's own and not mess with it.
    2. You will never download data from it because a: who cares, b: you won't find the cable, c: you won't find the software.
    3. The 1N is a perfectly usable EF autofocus body that will burn film all day and night with the best of them. At the price Bruce has it at, it's quite a decent deal.

He's asking a paltry $150, which is patently crazy for such a proven, pro-grade, beautiful, functional and never-say-die camera. Double it to $300. These bodies go for about $560 here in Australia, more again with power drive booster E1.

Canon really turned a lot of photographers off with that silly, gimmicky 45-point centrally-clustered focus point selection design. It's the main reason I never moved from the workhorse EOS 1N, which I have now had for more than 20 years.
    “The photographer must determine how he wants the finished print to look before he exposes the negative.
    Before releasing the shutter, he must seek 'the flame of recognition,' a sense that the picture would reveal
    the greater mystery of things...more clearly than the eyes see."
    ~Edward Weston, 1922.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by clayne View Post
    As a 1V owner:

1 I love the 45 points and use them all, it's easy to switch them in a half second while shooting, it's my favorite feature.

2 I always download my data using the ES-E1 cable, saves me so much time and I can get accurate info on what I shot so easily.

The 1N's auto focus is such a turn off, 3 center points and that's it? You always have to focus and recompose, which in some instances, will throw off your focus, in addition to making it impossible to properly frame a shot in fast paced working environments, with the 1V you can place the point where you want the framing to be and then shoot and not have to constantly recompose your shot.

That said the 1N is a good camera, and the price is good, if you want to spend 4 times as much, get the 1V, if you want a great camera at a good price, get the 1N
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisson Du Jour View Post

Canon really turned a lot of photographers off with that silly, gimmicky 45-point centrally-clustered focus point selection design. It's the main reason I never moved from the workhorse EOS 1N, which I have now had for more than 20 years.
    I know this is APUG so many here are stuck in the past, but I've never met a single (currently) working photographer who complains that is 1D etc has "too many points" that's just silly. If you don't want that many you can cluster them in groups. Still the 1N has the same focusing as my EOS IX which was a crappy APS film camera...

San Francisco, CA | Kuching, MY | Jakarta, ID
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Well whatever.. the 1N is solid. 150$ is a steal. It's a camera that is meant to be used.
    Stop worrying about grain, resolution, sharpness, and everything else that doesn't have a damn thing to do with substance.

http://www.flickr.com/kediwah

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This is my 3rd EOS 1N. 1. stolen 2. fell of the desk onto a carpeted floor. Destroyed the hood but the lens works fine. 3. Works better than the other 2. Even have the battery pack for it. Third time is the charm?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    is this still available?

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin