Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,808   Posts: 1,581,512   Online: 1037

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

FS: Very nice Dallmeyer 3A Patent Portrait 16" f/4 Petzval lens

Flange included. Serial #32428 manufactured December 27, 1882.

Price is $2,500 USD net to me before shipping and insurance. Payment by USPS money orders (preferred) or certified check. Sorry, no Paypal.

This is the nicest example of this model lens I have seen, and it is the second 3A I have owned. I doubt another example in this fine condition will come on the market anytime soon, perhaps for years. This is the lens I've taken some of my favorite shots with. (I'm only selling it to put together a down payment for a house.)

This lens retains a nice patina and comes with one Waterhouse stop, the lens shade, and one non-original velvet-lined front lens cap. (I think the cap is from a Wollensak Vitax.) The rack and pinion focusing mechanism is intact and undamaged. The flange looks to be original and has not been trimmed.

There is very slight (approximately 3mm) separation present along the periphery of the front element group. There is also a minuscule smudge (?) that is extremely difficult to see on one of the rear elements. It has no visible effect on images taken with this lens. There is some minor damage to the rear threaded area (see picture at links below). I'm not sure if anything actually screwed on there or if the threads are just decorative. The hood is so very slightly out-of-round that it is difficult to pick out. I've tried to show it in one of the photos.

The rear notched ring that controls the soft focus feature may be stuck. I've never used it and can't get a good enough grip on it to turn it. I don't think it is cross-threaded and if it is actually stuck, I think it would loosen up with a little coaxing with the proper strap wrench.

A couple of (nude figure) 10x12 ruby ambrotypes taken with this lens can be seen at the following links: Robin in Woods #1 & Robin in Woods #2

If you have any interest in the lens, have a look at some additional pictures at:

http://smieglitz.tumblr.com/post/562...atent-portrait

and

http://smieglitz.tumblr.com/post/555...etzval-lens-sn

then contact me via email at this link.

I am also selling a rare 22 1/4" Verito extension element in excellent condition.

Last edited by smieglitz; 07-23-2013 at 01:06 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    The Dallmeyer 3A is sold pending receipt of funds.

A sale is also pending on the Verito extension element as of 07/24/13.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin