Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,258   Online: 1000

Shooter
    Medium Format

FS: Rolleiflex Automat 6x6, Model 3 (K4B2) - Rough but restorable!

This is a rough and damaged specimen of the Rolleiflex Automat 6x6, Model 3 (also known as the K4B2). It is serial number 1075943. It dates from 1945-1949, so condition is not all that bad, considering it's at least 64 years old! I purchased it via an online police auction of recovered goods, and they weren't very honest in their description of the camera (no description of damage). Still, despite the damage, it may be restorable!

Specifications of the K4B2 (taken from www.rolleiclub.com):

Rolleiflex Automat 6x6 - Model 2 = K4B
    April 1939 - October 1945
    Serials
    : 805.000 - 1.050.000 (some shared with Rolleiflex Standard New).
    Model 3 = K4B2
    October 1945 - September 1949
    Serials
    : 1.050.000 - 1.099.999

Taking Lens 1939-1945:
    Zeiss Tessar 3,5/75, Bayonet I
    Taking Lens 1945-1949:
    Zeiss Jena Tessar 3,5/75
    Zeiss Oberkochen Opton 3,5/75
    Schneider Xenar 3,5/75
    All with filter Bayonet I
    Finder lens:
    Heidoscop Anastigmat 2,8/75mm
    Bayonet I
    Shutter:
    Compur - Rapid, 1 - 1/500 sec., T & B, self timer.
    Film: 6x6: B II 8 (120) & 35mm with Rolleikin I adapter set.
    Film Transportation: winding lever with auto stop, no red window, film pressure plate without color coating. Lever also cocks the shutter. Double exposure prevention.
    Dimensions
    : 14.0x9.0x9.5cm
    Weight: 928 grams.
    This model has a hinged back with exposure guide. The camera could be used with Rolleikin I to use 35mm film & with the special glass plate film adapter. The following parts of his model can be modernized to 1955 standard: waist level finder, larger focusing knob, double exposure safety lock, viewing lens bayonet, X-sync contact.Also useable after modifications: Rolleimarin I under water housing, Rolleimeter, Rolleiflash.
    Pictured is Model K4B2 (1945-1949). The differences with model K4B are:
    K4B K4B2
    Gray aperture & shutter control dial inlay Black aperture & shutter control dial inlay
    Franke & Heidecke name under viewing lens Franke & Heidecke name under taking lens
    Shutter release without cable release thread Shutter release with cable release thread

This specimen had been dropped at some time, landing on the front left corner. This broke off a small piece of the nameplate, and broke the ring that held the hood to the body (this is cast aluminum; very brittle). It may be possible to replace the hood with one from another specimen, but repairing the nameplate will take a good deal of skill and ingenuity.

The leather needs replacement. I suggest going to cameraleather.com, where you can get replacement leatherette in basic black for about $20, or dress it in an exotic material such as colored snakeskin! I've used them several times, and their products are very good.

The shutter and aperture are both functional. The shutter sounds accurate, though it will misfire if you fire the shutter too rapidly. I'm not familiar with the workings of the shutter to provide an explanation, but it does seem to work normally if you wait 4-5 seconds between activations. A Heiland shutter release plunger has been mounted; I am not sure if it is functional or not, but I suspect that it is (not much to go wrong).

The viewing and taking lenses are fairly dirty, but otherwise appear functional. Finally, one of the four feet is missing; since these were riveted into the body, replacement may be difficult. However, it's easy to swap backs on this model (simply flip up the catches at the top, then open the back), so if you have a dead specimen with a good back, that's an easy fix!

There is light-to-moderate pitting of the metal for the strap holder/back hinges. There are remnants of a light grey paint on the metal; areas where the paint has been lost show pitting. It should be possible to polish/buff out much of the pitting, but these pieces are easily replaced if you have better parts.

Here are some photos of the camera:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rolleiflex Automatic Type 4 - Front with damage shown.jpg 
Views:	68 
Size:	648.4 KB 
ID:	72738 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rolleiflex Automatic Type 4 - Left.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	677.9 KB 
ID:	72739 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rolleiflex Automatic Type 4 - Back.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	637.4 KB 
ID:	72740 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rolleiflex Automatic Type 4 - Right.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	661.7 KB 
ID:	72741 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rolleiflex Automatic Type 4 - Aperture & Speed Window.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	584.4 KB 
ID:	72742 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rolleiflex Automatic Type 4 - Taking Lens.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	708.2 KB 
ID:	72743 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rolleiflex Automatic Type 4 - Bottom.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	769.8 KB 
ID:	72744

Here is a close-up of the damage:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rolleiflex Automatic Type 4 - Damage Closeup.jpg 
Views:	44 
Size:	311.5 KB 
ID:	72745

It will take some work to restore this specimen, if you're so inclined. Regarding the missing black paint, comments on some forums suggest using a product called "Aluma-Hyde", a matte black paint originally intended for firearms (available at Brownell's or other firearms websites); some suggested various automotive touch-up paints for their durability. A Google search for camera restoration should provide more information.

If properly restored, this might be a $400-500 camera! However, in its current condition, it's worth considerably less. How much less? I'm not sure. So, I'm going to post an asking price of $275 + S/H, and I'll entertain any and all offers over the next 2-3 days. If no one is willing to pay my asking price, I'll go with the highest offer.

If you have any questions, or would like closeups of any part of the camera not already shown, please PM me and I'll get back to you. I don't have Internet access at home, so it might be a day or so before I get back to you!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Since I need the money quickly, the price is now $200 + S/H. First to make payment via Paypal to dr.david.child@gmail.com gets it! Plenty of good parts, and possibly restorable!

PS: I don't have Internet at home, so I won't see any questions until tomorrow.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Price drop!

$150 + $14.50 S/H
    (USPS Priority Flat Rate Medium Box, Signature, Insurance). Payment via Paypal to: dr.david.child@gmail.com.

Shooter
    35mm
    I offer $12.50 plus the $15 for shipping for $27.50 total. If interested please PM me.

Thanks,
    Jon

Shooter
    Medium Format
    You missed the window, Jon.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Going to withdraw it for now and have a shot at repairs myself.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin