Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,503   Posts: 1,543,425   Online: 885

Shooter
    Medium Format

Yashica Electro 35 G, Electro 35, and Electro 35 Lens Conversion Set!

I have two (2) Yashica Electro 35 rangefinders for sale; the first is the model GS, the other an earlier model (not a GS or GSN). I also have the Electro 35 Lens Conversion Set, still in the original box with the leather carry case. A mercury battery adapter (see the 1st photo) is included. ou can find these on Fleabay, and they allow you to use the modern lithium 6v batteries instead of the older and toxic mercury batteries (the mercs are still available, but they are expensive).

The Lens Conversion Set contains a Close-Up adapter and a Telephoto adapter. Expand the capabilities of your Electro 35 with this set!

Both cameras and the lens conversion set for just $50. S/H is included to the lower 48 states.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yashica Electro 35 G GS.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	462.0 KB 
ID:	75331 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yashica Electro 35 G.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	606.4 KB 
ID:	75332 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Yashica Electro 35 Lens Conversion Set.jpg 
Views:	42 
Size:	612.4 KB 
ID:	75333

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I had question about the so-called "pad of death" with the Electro 35; this is a condition in which a small pad that resets several switches during film advance degrades over time, resulting in aperture and other errors. Supposedly, a symptom is a loud click or thunk when advancing the film; when I tested the two cameras, the "plain" model (S/N: 91051649, BTW) had no audible sounds whatsoever when winding. The GS (S/N: H 200732) does make a loud click, but since I don't have any experience with how a Electro 35 with the "pad of death" sounds, I'm not sure if this click is normal or not. You're taking a chance, but at $50 + S/H, it's not a big risk.

The battery check on the "plain" model doesn't light, but the "Slow/Over" lamps function normally. Those are very fragile bulbs, and given the age, it's not unusual. The GS has a 1B filter installed. Both rangefinders appear clear to me, though there does seem to be a faint, blue haze. I'd consider that normal, as the mirrors inside are splitting the image; some light loss/color shifting should be expected.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    The "thunk" is not a symptom, it is what you want to hear (and more, really, to feel) when you advance the film. If you don't hear or feel the Yashica thunk (and it is unmistakable), then the camera likely needs service. I am guessing that your original G probably needs a POD replacement, while the later GS is likely OK.

The battery check is on a different circuit than the meter and over/under lights, and, unlike them, it is susceptible to variances in voltage. It is common for the battery indicator to fail when using alkaline batteries after they dip below their original 6 volt voltage, as it was designed to work with mercury batteries, which have a more stable voltage during their usable life.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thanks for the clarification. The battery light on the GS is very bright, so I'm sticking with a bad bulb on the original.

Quote Originally Posted by elcabezagrande View Post
    The "thunk" is not a symptom, it is what you want to hear (and more, really, to feel) when you advance the film. If you don't hear or feel the Yashica thunk (and it is unmistakable), then the camera likely needs service. I am guessing that your original G probably needs a POD replacement, while the later GS is likely OK.

The battery check is on a different circuit than the meter and over/under lights, and, unlike them, it is susceptible to variances in voltage. It is common for the battery indicator to fail when using alkaline batteries after they dip below their original 6 volt voltage, as it was designed to work with mercury batteries, which have a more stable voltage during their usable life.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin