Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,950   Posts: 1,585,953   Online: 936

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Small Darlot Petzval

I kept this lens in hope that I would eventually make use of it on an RB Graphlex, but the focal length is too short and the mirror hits the barrel when I focus on infinity. It's fine on a Speed Graphic, but the depth of field wide open is so shallow that I keep losing focus while I change the back and roll holders don't allow me to focus accurately enough. Time to pass it on.

Here's what I do know about it: It's 2 1/4" long and 1 3/8" across. The back-focus length seems to be just under 90mm. It covers 2 1/4 square well, not much more. It's signed on the glass, Jamin et Darlot a Paris, which, I believe, indicates early 1860's for its date. Glass is in good shape, if not perfect, and it comes with one Waterhouse stop, marked 4. There is a flange and an old, cracked wooden lensboard, or camera front, I don't know. The screws are not original but it came with the lens, so I'll include it. The base of the outer sheath will screw into a Copal 1 shutter (mine is from a Polaroid MP4) as well as into the flange.

The bad stuff: There is no wheel to adjust focus on the outer sheath. There is no lens shade, though there clearly was at one time.

I can't find this lens in the Benjamin French Catalogue from 1890 and I don't know when they stopped making it, nor do I know it's original purpose–perhaps 1/8 plate deguerreotypes? I just know somebody can make better use of it that I can... Got a Hassleblad, or other medium format camera with an FP shutter? This lens might be what you're looking for.

The B&W image was taken with it on a 2 /14 x 3 1/4 roll back on a Baby Speed.

$150 shipped in CONUS- extra outside the country.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails whole.jpg   parts.jpg   bottom.jpg   signed.jpg   darlotcloser.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    This would work well on a Rollei SL66. GLWS

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Okay, I will take it. PM sent.
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Dammit, Moxom's gonna kick ass *again*, with this one...
    "Never criticize someone until you've walked a mile in their shoes. That way, you're a mile away and you've got their shoes."

MY BLOG - www.reservedatalltimes.com
    YOU SHOULD LOOK AT THIS SITE - www.colincorneau.com
    INSTAGRAM: colincorneau

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sold!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    :-) will work well on the Hassy 201f ... Thanks Whitey!
    Please check out my website www.amoxomphotography.com and APUG Portfolio .....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Moxom View Post
    :-) will work well on the Hassy 201f ... Thanks Whitey!
    Would have worked well on my SL66 too!! Grrrrr... :-)
    -----------------------

"Well, my photos are actually much better than they look..."

Richard S.
    Albany, CA (San Francisco bay area)

My Flickr River of photographs
    http://flickriver.com/photos/rich815...r-interesting/

My Photography Website
    http://www.lightshadowandtone.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin