Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,200   Posts: 1,531,490   Online: 932

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    I've blown my gear budget for the year otherwise I'd be all over this. I would love this on my Kiev 60. Denys, I'll keep an eye out on your progress. Coating isn't a concern for me.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Medium format Petzval portrait lens. Petzvar f/3.8 120mm

If you could create a petzval that worked for 4x5 AND had a shutter, this would be of much more interest to me sadly.

Actually, the Mamiya RZ's lens shutter works independently from the other electronics, it's possible you could set a simple function to simply trip the mirror lock up, and leave the rest of the functions to the lens as normal, if it had it's own shutter.

(And the Hassleblad C's as well)
    ~Stone | "...of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." ~Dennis Miller

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Interesting project. I don't know if you have the optical design locked in, but the swirl seems excessive to me. The best properties of the Petzval have nothing to do with swirl--which is a one-trick pony. In any case good luck with your kickstarter, I think it's great that people are reproducing a classic lens design that still has a place in photography.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by mcivorp View Post
    I've blown my gear budget for the year otherwise I'd be all over this. I would love this on my Kiev 60. Denys, I'll keep an eye out on your progress. Coating isn't a concern for me.
    Thank you very much!
    Last edited by Denys; 12-02-2013 at 08:48 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    If you could create a petzval that worked for 4x5 AND had a shutter, this would be of much more interest to me sadly.

Actually, the Mamiya RZ's lens shutter works independently from the other electronics, it's possible you could set a simple function to simply trip the mirror lock up, and leave the rest of the functions to the lens as normal, if it had it's own shutter.

(And the Hassleblad C's as well)
    Yes, technically it is not very difficult to calculate the lens that will work with Mamiya RZ or 4x5 cameras, but building the prototype is really expensive. And the only thing that can compensate for expenses is the volume of production. Especially when it involves fairly complicated shutters.
    I seriously doubt that the effort will be paid off.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    Interesting project. I don't know if you have the optical design locked in, but the swirl seems excessive to me. The best properties of the Petzval have nothing to do with swirl--which is a one-trick pony. In any case good luck with your kickstarter, I think it's great that people are reproducing a classic lens design that still has a place in photography.
    Thank you for your comment. I know exactly what you mean, but the lens is just an instrument and can be used in different ways by different photographers. Those sample shots were taken to show the lens' ability to produce a "signature" swirls, but it is very easy to take a pictures without it, by using a smaller apertures, or placing the subject at different distances,or simply by cropping the final image. Using a smaller sensor cameras will cut the swirls off too. I'm sure you know what I mean - it is not always easy to get those swirls from the Petzval, but you can, if you want to.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    this looks great - if you ever decide to make one for the Mamiya RB series let me know!

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by nwilkins View Post
    this looks great - if you ever decide to make one for the Mamiya RB series let me know!
    Thanks! Sure, I will. But it won't be soon. Currently I'm working on lens with Hasselblad " V " mount for 2000 or 200 series.
    Last edited by Denys; 12-03-2013 at 02:24 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Is anyone else having problems with Kickstarter on this project? I've tried to participate and Kickstarter has been a "no starter" for me. Bill Barber

Shooter
    Large Format
    I'm only vaguely interested because of the mount.
    If I had a system with the mount I'd be very interested.
    I wouldn't buy into a new system because of the lens.

I would be very interested in Petzval cells that could mount into a modern LF style shutter, even a Copal 3 or 3s.
    I would also be very interested in something for the RB67 system which I have, which is cheap, and which can easily be hacked into a lensboard if you want to use it on something else.
    I might even be interested in a 'blad 500 lens.

Just my two bits. It's not like I'm making the thing. Maybe one day....

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin