Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,301   Posts: 1,536,120   Online: 842

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
    Shooter
    Medium Format

Medium format Petzval portrait lens. Petzvar f/3.8 120mm

I have launched my medium format Petzval portrait lens project yesterday.
    It is made by original scheme, not improved or re-designed. Here is the link:
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...t-petzval-port
    Please, share your opinion or support the project if you like the lens.
    Thank you,
    Denys.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	MaxPetzval6x6.jpg 
Views:	200 
Size:	259.0 KB 
ID:	77813

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	PETZVARweb.jpg 
Views:	163 
Size:	119.7 KB 
ID:	77814

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Medium format Petzval portrait lens. Petzvar f/3.8 120mm

I'm not familiar with many mounts but you have a picture of what looks like a Hassleblad but it doesn't connect to Hassleblad lenses, nor Mamiya RB/RZ lenses, but Pentax instead? What if you made a lens mount option or something? Also is this mechanical only or electronic? Because then the RZ67 wouldn't be supported even with an adapter.

I'm sure I just missed something, so I'm asking to understand.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Thank you for your interest.
    No, this lens will not work with RZ 67, I'm not familiar with this model, but as far as I know it has 105 mm for Flange focal distance, which is greater then 74.1 mm of the Pentacon Six camera.
    My lens has a Pentacon Six mount, which is pretty convenient because it has relatively longer Flange focal distance. Therefore, it can be used on Mamiya 645, Pentax 645 and Contax 645 medium format cameras with available adapters. Also, the lens is completely manual, no CPU of any kind.
    Soon after posting the information about the Petzvar lens on the web, I received a questions about the possibility of making the Petzvar portrait lens with 2000 series Hasselblad compatible mount. Since the Flange Focal Distance of a Pentacon Six camera and a Hasselblad camera is very similar - 74.1 mm and 74.9 mm, respectively, there will be no problem making Petzvar lens with Hasselblad mount, especially since I have seen custom modified P6 lenses with Hasselblad mount before. Currently I'm working on building a Hasselblad mount Petzvar lens and will post an updates. Please, note, the Petzvar lens has no internal shutter and will be compatible only with Hasselblad 2000 or 200 series camera models with focal plane shutter.
    Last edited by Denys; 12-01-2013 at 04:43 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Denys View Post
    Thank you for your interest.
    No, this lens will not work with RZ 67, I'm not familiar with this model, but as far as I know it has 105 mm for Flange focal distance, which is greater then 74.1 mm of the Pentacon Six camera.
    My lens has a Pentacon Six mount, which is pretty convenient because it has relatively longer Flange focal distance. Therefore, it can be used on Mamiya 645, Pentax 645 and Contax 645 medium format cameras with available adapters. Also, the lens is completely manual, no CPU of any kind.
    Soon after posting the information about the Petzvar lens on the web, I start to receive a questions about the possibility of making the Petzvar portrait lens with 2000 series Hasselblad compatible mount. Since the Flange Focal Distance of a Pentacon Six camera and a Hasselblad camera is very similar - 74.1 mm and 74.9 mm, respectively, there will be no problem making Petzvar lens with Hasselblad mount, especially since I have seen custom modified P6 lenses with Hasselblad mount before. Currently I'm working on building a Hasselblad mount Petzvar lens and will post an updates. Please, note, the Petzvar lens has no internal shutter and will be compatible only with Hasselblad 2000 or 200 series camera models with focal plane shutter.
    Thank you for your thorough response, unfortunately I will not be able to use this lens as my RZ67 doesn't work and that is the only system I own, good luck with your new lens.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by StoneNYC View Post
    Thank you for your thorough response, unfortunately I will not be able to use this lens as my RZ67 doesn't work and that is the only system I own, good luck with your new lens.
    Thank you! Another reason for me to build the lens with P6 mount is the price of the camera body itself. You can buy new Kiev 88 CM on eBay for 119$ or even cheaper. Sounds like a price for lens adapter to me. Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiev-88CM-Ca...item1e83d4c36a

Some people say that it is not as good as Hassy, but I'm using mine for over seven years now without any issues. For me it is a weapon of choice simply because I can use my all time favorite Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 2.8 180 mm. It produces the images pretty similar to those, taken by Aerial Ektars on 4x5.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Denys View Post
    Thank you! Another reason for me to build the lens with P6 mount is the price of the camera body itself. You can buy new Kiev 88 CM on eBay for 119$ or even cheaper. Sounds like a price for lens adapter to me. Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Kiev-88CM-Ca...item1e83d4c36a

Some people say that it is not as good as Hassy, but I'm using mine for over seven years now without any issues. For me it is a weapon of choice simply because I can use my all time favorite Carl Zeiss Jena Sonnar 2.8 180 mm. It produces the images pretty similar to those, taken by Aerial Ektars on 4x5.
    Always wanted one, maybe this is the excuse

Shooter
    Multi Format
    There 6 gazzillion Mamaiya RB's almost free, with a 6x7 cm film gate rotatable and it has bellows to fine tune any FP problems.

A far better choice is RB. imho

It may have been wise to survey us here, the film center of the world.

I won't shoot 645 as it's too small.

Good luck!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    For those voting for RB (not sure if it's up for voting, but anyway), are you envisaging it with helical focus, or just a lensblock and bellows-focus?
    IMHO P6 is a good choice, it's a very cheap system to get into, and is as reliable as any other I've experienced (my Mamiya 645AF has broken more times than my P6 + K60 + K88CM combined). That and it's very easy to adapt to other formats, I shoot P6 lenses on my P6 and variants, M645 and EOS, can't do that with non-helical RB/RZ lenses.
    Maybe P67 would have been nice, but there's no adapter from P67 to P6 (actually, engineering guy, if you want to make such an adapter I'd buy one, I can only shoot my P67 lenses on my M645).

I'll have to come up with the cash but I'd be interested in one of these MC Petzvals...
    An awful lot of electrons were terribly inconvenienced in the making of this post.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr Croubie View Post
    For those voting for RB (not sure if it's up for voting, but anyway), are you envisaging it with helical focus, or just a lensblock and bellows-focus?
    IMHO P6 is a good choice, it's a very cheap system to get into, and is as reliable as any other I've experienced (my Mamiya 645AF has broken more times than my P6 + K60 + K88CM combined). That and it's very easy to adapt to other formats, I shoot P6 lenses on my P6 and variants, M645 and EOS, can't do that with non-helical RB/RZ lenses.
    Maybe P67 would have been nice, but there's no adapter from P67 to P6 (actually, engineering guy, if you want to make such an adapter I'd buy one, I can only shoot my P67 lenses on my M645).

I'll have to come up with the cash but I'd be interested in one of these MC Petzvals...
    Actually, if I'm able to get funds, the lens will be with coated elements.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Would have loved this:
    For my RZ67
    If there were more options in your kickstarter...
    Just 13 spots for the lens itself (oops misread the 3 backers in the last bucket as 3 total spots...) - I (still) don't think you're gonna reach your goal (without more entry level spots).
    How about some combos - lens with Nikon or Canon mount adapter?
    But the lens looks awesome - good luck!
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin