Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,933   Posts: 1,585,574   Online: 772

Shooter
    Multi Format

FS: 8x10 Deardorff w/ New Bellows, Needs Refurb

Deardorff 8x10 with New Bellows
    Needs Refurbishment
    $850
    Refurbished by me, $1350
    or best reasonable offer

Adapter lensboard shown on camera, sold separately
    $50 obo

I bought this as a "beater" camera to refurbish for my own use. I made a new bellows -- faithful to the original design -- and mounted it on the original bellows frames. My photographic plans have changed, so I'm putting it up for sale.

As it is, the finish on the camera is in very rough condition, as you can see in the photos. It could use a thorough refinishing. The metal parts could use some polishing.

The bed was coming unglued due to pressure from a replacement bellows that was too thick for the camera. I re-glued the bed, but there was a bit of wood loss where the tripod socket had been. So I took a bed plate that I have and attached that to the bed. This reinforces the bed a bit and provides a tripod socket. The camera's extension functions were not affected.

I believe the metal parts are plated brass. In some places, the plating seems to be disintegrating, so polishing will probably rub the plating off and expose much of the brass. But this does need to be done because the texture of the plating prevents smooth operation of rise, tilts and swings.

As for the wood finishing, my intention was to refinish only the parts of the camera that really need it, such as the the bottom of the bed. The rest I was figuring to just clean up well and then put some coats of oil finish on it. This has worked well in other refurb jobs I've done, and preserves the aged color of the wood. It really improves the appearance of the camera, and adds layers of protection.

The camera is usable as-is, but really needs cleaning up at least.

Alternatively, I can do the refurbishing for the purchaser. This would take two to three weeks. Most of the time would be spent waiting for coats of wood finish to dry.

The good news is that the camera is complete with no missing hardware. It's missing the strap; I can make a new one, or it's possible to order a new one from Deardorff.

All movements and adjustments work as they should, except as noted above due to rough metal surfaces where the plating is marred. The bellows is brand new and mounted on the camera.

I have a complete set of new screws, bought from Deardorff, which would be installed as part of my refurbishing work. If you prefer to do the refurb yourself, you can have the set for an additional $30, which is less than I paid.

If you want to see an example of a refurbishing job I did, here's a link with before and after pictures of a Century Universal 8x10 I worked on recently:

http://s96.photobucket.com/user/pacv...?sort=9&page=1

The camera weighs about 12 lbs 3 oz. It measures about 12 x 15 x 4-1/2" folded up. So figure about 15 lbs shipping weight from 90027, in a box of about 16 x 20 x 9 inches.

Please Note: I wait for Paypal to clear to my bank account before shipping; this takes about 3-4 days.

Here are some pictures:

Last edited by pacviewcam; 12-12-2013 at 05:39 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sale pending

Shooter
    Multi Format
    SOLD

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Someone got a nice deal on a great camera. FWIW, I see no serial number which likely means that this is an earlier (pre 1950) no-front-swings model, updated by the factory or someone with factory parts.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin