Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,000   Posts: 1,524,344   Online: 784

Shooter
    Multi Format

For Sale - Linhof Technika 5x7 with Xenar lens (from Australia)

I know I keep saying it, but I have too many nice cameras.....and this is too nice a camera to leave sitting on the shelf. I just don't have enough time to use all the cameras I have, and seeing I have 2 other 5x7 cameras (a Ansco wooden view camera and a Graflex SLR) I've decided this one needs a new home.

To make sure all is working as it should I took the camera out this afternoon (in direct sun in the 40C heat) and shot a couple of sheets of film with it, one with the back set vertically focused at around 20 meters (say 50 feet?), and a horizontal shot focused at around 2 meters (6 feet) to make sure there were no light leaks with the back set in either orientation, and with the bellows set to different extensions. I left each film siting in the film holder with the darkslide pulled out for a couple of minutes in direct sunlight just to make sure there were no light leaks. I just processed the 2 sheets of film and they are perfect.

The camera is in what I call "good user" condition - that is, the camera has been used, but everything is working well. The is a small "dent" about an 1/2 inch long near the edge of the bed near the door catch - it looks like someone knocked the edge against something while carrying the camera. I'm mentioning it not because it affects the way the camera works, but because as I said this is a user camera, not a "collectors" camera.

The rotating back rotates smoothly, the focus is smooth, both the rising front and front shift both work as they should (see one of the photos where I've set both the rising front and side shift). The bellows are original, and although they have a couple of marks on them they are soft and supple, and based on the 2 sheets of film I just processed are doing their job as they should. The ground-glass has no cracks in it, nor does the leather hood on the rear of the focusing screen. However there is a piece of cardboard stuck on the inside of the bottom half of the leather hood to help keep the hood open fully. I was going to stick a piece of leather there to replace the cardboard, but never got around to it. I'll leave that to the new owner if they feel the need to.

The camera is fitted with a Schneider f4.5/210mm Xenar lens in a dial set shutter (speeds of 1 to 1/100th plus B & T). The shutter is working well at all speeds. The slow speeds are a little long (1 sec is closer to 1 1/2 sec, and a 1/2 is probably 0.7 sec), but the speeds are consistent. I've never found this to be a problem, as I often forget about reciprocity when I'm photographing, so the extra exposure has actually given me better negatives

The lens is clear - no haze or fungus, and it is free from scratches. Apertures run from f4.5 to f32.

If you wanted to use it the rangefinder is bright and accurate. And to aid in composition if you decided to hand hold the camera it comes with both sports and accessory optical zoom viewfinder. This finder is very handy as it is calibrated for use with both 4x5 and 5x7 cameras, with the field of view for the 5x4 format displayed in the middle of the viewfinder.

One thing I just realized - this camera also offers back movements. I've never used them - it's not my thing. I shoot portraits and architecture, so all my movements are at the front of the camera. I have never taken a shot with the rear bellows extended, but to the naked eye they look fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP4983.jpg 
Views:	101 
Size:	199.5 KB 
ID:	81727Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP4975.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	257.6 KB 
ID:	81728Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP4978.jpg 
Views:	77 
Size:	169.8 KB 
ID:	81729Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP5020.jpg 
Views:	79 
Size:	185.1 KB 
ID:	81730Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP5017.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	329.3 KB 
ID:	81731Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP5016.jpg 
Views:	56 
Size:	158.2 KB 
ID:	81732Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP5013.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	200.9 KB 
ID:	81733Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP4990.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	206.2 KB 
ID:	81734Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP4994.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	214.9 KB 
ID:	81735Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP4997.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	235.0 KB 
ID:	81736Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP5007.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	212.5 KB 
ID:	81737Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP5010.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	123.1 KB 
ID:	81738Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP5011.jpg 
Views:	43 
Size:	162.6 KB 
ID:	81739Click image for larger version. 

Name:	_IGP5012.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	210.4 KB 
ID:	81740

And if you are in Australia and want to pay the extra postage (or are able to pick it up) I'll throw in the Linhof tripod the camera is sitting on for free......

I'm not sure what this is really worth? I had a look at ebay and they are asking crazy prices for them!

So how does $875 US sound? Payment via paypal (I'll cover the fees), with postage from Australia at cost (and I'll cover the insurance). And I'll make a donation to APUG.

I hope someone snaps up this camera..it's just too nice to leave sitting on the shelf..

Cheers, Andrew
    A camera is only a black box with a hole in it....

my blog...some film, some digital http://andrewk1965.wordpress.com/

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PMed, Andrew.

来自我的 SCH-I959 上的 Tapatalk

Pm sent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    camera has been sold subject to payment

thank you for your interest

I took it. Thank you!

payment sent

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Camera has been sold - thanks to everyone for their interest

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin