Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,922   Posts: 1,556,610   Online: 1268

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format

Leica IIIG w/ 5cm F/2.8 Elmar

Hello All,

Up for sale is a Leica IIIG with a 5 cm collapsible Elmar. The serial numbers indicate that the camera and lens date from 1957.

Camera:

There are no dings or scratches just light wear marks. The speeds seem fine. The range finder is bang on with perhaps the merest hint of vertical mis-alignment. It does have a case of what I call "vulcanitis", you can see that the covering is starting to come off the camera around its base. I've put several rolls through it and it works as well as every other Leica (IIIF & IIIG) that I have owned.

Lens:

The lens is a little low in contrast wide open but by f/5.6 it renders texture and detail quite impressively. With a flashlight you can see some internal haze and a few very light cleaning marks. The aperture blades are without any signs of oil and work very smoothly as does focussing. Focussing scale is in metres. Comes with Leica lens cap and hood.

Also Included:

Leather case
    39mm Leitz yellow/green filter
    Body cap
    Spare 39 mm snap cap
    Leitz IROOA lens hood w/ leather case (extra hood)
    Prinz film cutting guide
    Instruction book

I bought the camera and lens from the original owner who bought it new in Southern Germany in the late 1950s. Soon after he bought the IIIG he bought an M series Leica so this one has probably only ever had about 30 rolls put through it. If I were to keep it I would get it recovered, have a CLA done and look for a Summicron for it. Instead I have decided to sell it and turn the proceeds into film, paper and chemicals as I shoot mostly medium and large format these days.

I'll post as many photos as I can

Price:

I want $950 USD for everything listed here. Paypal only and Paypal verified address please. The price also includes insured and tracked shipping to addresses in Canada and the lower 48 US states. For other destinations please inquire. 2% to APUG.

PM me with any questions.

Thanks for looking,
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iiig4.jpg   iiig3.jpg   iiig01.jpg   iiig9.jpg   iiig14.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format

More pics

A few more photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iiig12.jpg   iiig13.jpg   iiig15.jpg   iiig5.jpg   iiig6.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format

Yet more pics

Last batch of photos
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails iiig8.jpg   iiig7.jpg   iiig10.jpg   iiig11.jpg   iiig2.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Drooling, really nice, good luck.
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by fotch View Post
    Drooling, really nice, good luck.
    Thanks for that!

Sometimes I take it out to just look at it.

It's a great conversation starter as well as a great shooter.

I forgot to mention that the deal also includes a recessed rear cap for the Elmar.

Mike

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Between fotch and myself I suspect we've made a big mess. I'm looking for a full body bib.
    Heavily sedated for your protection.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I already have one, but note the 2.8 is the standard lens it came with. The design of this classic is so good that Audi cars once used it in their adverts. You will have no trouble selling this and although I hardly ever use mine I would hate to part with it.

“The contemplation of things as they are, without error or confusion, without substitution or imposture, is in itself a nobler thing than a whole harvest of invention”

Francis Bacon

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by cliveh View Post
    I already have one, but note the 2.8 is the standard lens it came with. The design of this classic is so good that Audi cars once used it in their adverts. You will have no trouble selling this and although I hardly ever use mine I would hate to part with it.
    The camera does seem to have its fans (droolers!)

I hate to part with it too, but too many cameras.

The cat photo was taken with this IIIG. Scan of an Ilford Warm Tone RC print.

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails leila_leica001.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    bump

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Before selling this elsewhere I'll give it one more try here.

And, I'll sweeten the pot.

1. I'll throw in a 9cm Elmar f/4.
    I bought the lens from KEH and it was described as ugly.
    As can be seen in the photos there are lots of scratches, abrasions and cleaning marks on the glass.
    However the lens works surprisingly well.
    It is quite sharp but low in contrast.
    There is a hood, a snap cap for the hood and a slip on cap for the lens.
    There is no rear cap.

2. I would consider a nice Minolta Autocord and/or a 50 mm AI-S Nikkor (f/1.4, f/1.8 or f/2) in exchange as partial payment for the IIIG.

As before please pm me with any questions.

Thanks,
    Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 9cm1.jpg   9cm2.jpg   9cm3.jpg   9cm4.jpg  
    Last edited by BainDarret; 03-17-2014 at 02:00 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: grammar

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin