Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,577   Posts: 1,545,713   Online: 789

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

S: 5-1/2" ~f/3.5 Petzval...

Hi, all -

For sale is one of my all-time favorite lenses, a marked (but unidentified) magic lantern Petzval. I measure it out to be about 5-1/2" and about f/3.5 (my exposures at that aperture always seem to turn out right):

5.5" f/3.5 Petzval FS by Scott --, on Flickr

The glass is in good shape - no separation or real marks - but there's a slight mottling of the glass. Looks like a slight oily film, but I've never really tried to remove it, and it's never had any imact on anything I've shot with it. There's a rack and pinion - the knob is slightly bent, but the rack works properly. Brass is tarnished in places but no physical damage. There is no flange with this one.

While some of the shots I've made with this lens exhibit some swirl, that's not why I love this lens. Rather, there's a delicious, creamy rendering of the out-of-focus areas that makes for beautiful transitions. I've always used this for 4x5 portraiture and some close-ups, and it's worked beautifully.

A few samples (more can be seen here):

Thoughtful by Scott --, on Flickr

Petzval daffodils... by Scott --, on Flickr

img019 by Scott --, on Flickr

img251 by Scott --, on Flickr

Sunflower, from behind by Scott --, on Flickr

I've offered this for $250 plus insured shipping. I'll pay the PayPal fees. I am open to offers, though, if you think I've priced this too high.

Thanks,
    Scott

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sold pending. Thanks!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin