Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,560   Posts: 1,545,261   Online: 805

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

FS: Seneca 9 Self-Casing 5x7 Camera with Lens & Holders

I've had this for a while but never got to it, so its time to go to someone who wants it. "It" is a Seneca 9 self-casing 5x7 camera with lens with working shutter and two dry plate holders, one of which has film inserts. "It" is quite old, possibly a little musty and needs a spot or two of gentle care. The bellows have pinholes at the corners, the camera front doesn't spring down when you push the button but needs a gentle pry with a thin blade, and the cover over the ground glass needs re-glued. The focusing knobs don't turn and likely need dirt removed and gentle lubrication. That's the bad.

The good is that otherwise it's a quite pretty camera in gloss black and chrome silver. The camera rides smoothly on the rails and can be focused without resorting to the geared knobs, although fixing them up would certainly be useful. The lens is marked "Seneca C. Mfg. Co., 5x7 Sym Convertible". The shutter is marked "Seneca Autic Dustproof" along with "Patent Applied For" and "Wollensak Optical Co. Rochester N.Y." The shutter was sticky for a while but seems to be working now; it likely needs a service. Shutter speeds are marked T B 1/100 1/50 1/25 1/5 1/2 and 1. Aperture has three scales, marked 8" f/4 to f/256, 14" f/16 to f/256 and 18" f/32 to f/256. Note that you don't need to view through the ground glass as the camera has an old-fashioned prism sight and a focusing scale on the bed.

Of the two plate holders, one needs a simple repair to the top (the wood has come apart at a pinned joint and needs some glue.) While both of the holders are double-sided plate holders, one of them has black metal film inserts in it, so you can use that new-fangled film with it. I don't know, glass plates always worked just fine for me... There's also a rubber shutter release tube and a dried-up squeeze bulb, both easily replaceable. Note that the rubber tube has the metal fitting used to attach it to the shutter.

I'm asking $100 plus shipping, and Paypal is the best solution for me. Contact me for questions or comments and thanks for looking!

Mike
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8750.jpg   IMG_8751.JPG   IMG_8756.JPG   IMG_8754.JPG   IMG_8757.JPG  

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    More pictures!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8752.JPG   IMG_8753.JPG   IMG_8755.JPG   IMG_8758.JPG   IMG_8759.JPG  

Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming– “Wow! What a Ride!”

— Hunter S. Thompson

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The last of the photos:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_8763.JPG   IMG_8762.JPG   IMG_8761.JPG  

— Hunter S. Thompson

Shooter
    Multi Format
    cool
    DanQuan.com
    stand in the place where you are

Shooter
    Med. Format Pan

FS: Seneca 9 Self-Casing 5x7 Camera with Lens & Holders

Hello Mike: I might be interested in this camera. It depends on the shipping costs. When you have time could you find out how much the two cheapest quotes would be shipping to Canadian P.O. Box at postal code M6G 1Z4?

Thanks,

Doug

Shooter
    Medium Format
    PM sent

mjs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sold on the LF Forum, sorry.

Mike

— Hunter S. Thompson

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin