Alden 74 Bulk Loader for 100 foot rolls of 35mm film. I've had this for at least 25 years, but I've been shooting more medium and large format than 35mm for the past few years, so I don't really need to bulk load. You'll notice that the end of one of the metal clips that holds the door over the film loading area has broken off, but it still closes. You just have to slip a fingernail under the clip when you put the door on.

The way this works is you put your bulk roll of film in the large round compartment in the dark or in a changing bag. Turning the cylinder clockwise closes the light trap for when you have the film loading door open, and turning it counterclockwise opens it for winding film into cartridges, and there is a metal latch that only allows opening of the film loading door when the light trap is closed. You feed a couple of inches of the roll through the light trap, screw the cylinder in place, make sure the film loading door is closed, and then you can turn on the lights. Loosen the screw slightly so you can rotate the cylinder, and turn it to the "closed" position, so you can lift the metal lever and open the film loading door. Check that the film counter and meter are set to zero before loading the first roll, so you can keep track of how much you've loaded.

Open a cartridge and tape the film to the spool, noting the correct orientation by looking at a properly loaded cartridge, if it's not intuitive to you. The film should be emulsion side toward the center of the spool. I usually use a piece of masking tape that starts on the base side of the film, contacts the spool, and goes around to the emulsion side. Close up the cartridge, put it in the loader, and make sure the crank engages with the spool. Close the film loading door; close the metal latch; and turn the cylinder to "open" so you don't scratch your film as you load. For a 36 exp. roll, turn the crank so the counter goes all the way around and comes back to zero (40 frames, leaving room for the leader and trailer). Tick off the number of times the distance meter goes around to keep track of how much film you've loaded from the reel (20 feet/revolution).

Turn the cylinder to "close;" open the latch; remove the door; cut the film straight across; clip the film leader (again, look at a properly loaded cartridge, if you're not sure which way to angle the leader); and you're ready to load the next cartridge.

I found 9 metal reloadable cartridges and plastic film canisters that I'll include, and if I find more, I'll toss them in the box. I've also included two surplus 35mm stainless steel processing reels (I've got plenty). Some of the cartridges are DX coded for ISO 800. You can pull off or cover up the DX labels, if needed, and you can order more DX labels from Porter's camera.

$25 includes domestic US shipping. Figure $5 more for Canada/Mexico. Not worth shipping to Europe, Asia, Africa, Latin America, Australia, New Zealand, or Antarctica, but if you really want it, we can figure it out.USD
Price : 25.00