Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,555   Posts: 1,573,149   Online: 818

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images

Kodak Masterview 8x10

Up for auction is my trusty Kodak Masterview 8x10. This camera has great provenance and photographic vibes - I purchased it about 5 years ago from Michael A. Smith and Paula Chamlee. At that time, a brand new bellows was installed, but I'm overly paranoid about light leaks so I taped all the corners. It's perhaps a bit unsightly, but it functions perfectly. If you want looks, get an Ebony - the Masterview is all about function. I had several upgrades / modifications made to this camera. SK Grimes made a custom lensboard adaptor so the camera can accept Linhof style boards. It's beautifully made and works perfectly. They also produced a new stainless steel tripod mount (the threaded hole) to replace the original soft brass threads. This camera is fully functional - ready to make photographs. I used lenses ranging from 8-1/2" to 24" on this camera and made hundreds of negatives. We made some fine work together, but I want something that can support even longer lenses so I've made the tough decision to move on. I'll consider any serious offers.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails master_2.jpg   master_1.jpg   Master_3.jpg  
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I wish this was a 4X5! I would like one of the old metal Kodaks like this but I'm not ready to jump to 8X10........yet
    Helping to save analog photography one exposure at a time

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I am interested, but...what is it worth to you, about? ...and you taped the corners of brand new bellows for what reason? I don't get that at all.
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Scott, that bellows will take a 30" lens. Paula and I use them all the time with the KMV.

Michael A. Smith

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Not when it was brand new, perhaps 2 or 3 years later in a moment of paranoia brought on by observing a friend I was traveling with discover pinholes in the corners of a brand new bellows.
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Hey Michael - Good to hear from you. I'll PM you.
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    AH...I get it now, though the original sentence leads one to think it was when brand new. What are you looking for $$$ wise? I have not followed these on E-Bay in a while, and never seen one locally.

What kind of tape did you use?
    2F/2F

"Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

- Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm interested as well....can you give a ballpark value of what you are looking for?

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Everyone, thanks for the interest, but I've decided to put a longer bellows on this camera and keep it. Thanks to several folks who chimed in with PM's and helped me out.
    Scott Killian
    www.scottkillian.com

Anyone interested in the Kodak Masterview camera that is having problems locating one could consider augmenting their search with the Toyo 810M. The Toyo is very similar to the Kodak Master in the fact that it is has the same basic clam shell design. The Toyo 810M has a number of features that I find very usable. First, the camera has been sold for years and is still being manufactured. As a result they come up fairly regularly in the used market. Replacement and complimentary parts (lens board conversions, bag bellows, regular bellows, fresnels and ground glass protectors) are available from their service center in New Jersey. Secondly. the back of the camera is gear driven by two large knobs on either side of the camera to the rear so you can balance the front and rear standards easily over the tripod head when you are using long (sometimes heavy) lenses. There is also a small bail back lever for film holder insertion. The camera may be a bit heavier than the Kodak Master but it is just one more option to consider. Both are fabulous cameras. I am just interested in encouraging people to keep purchasing sheet film and Lodima Paper.
    Last edited by Michael Kadillak; 03-08-2010 at 07:22 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: typo

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin