Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,316   Posts: 1,536,709   Online: 957

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    35mm

FS: Fully Restored 1920s Gundlach 4X5 Flatbed

Well I just finished my project 4X5. The camera was completely dis-assembled, hand sanded, two coats of Minwax mahogany stain, two coats of Minwax polyurethane with hand sanding between coats. All hardware was hand polished and is nickel coated brass. The camera has new bellows installed that were lengthened from the original bellows which were around 350mm to 500mm. Some screws were replaced with brass screws. The bellows was sealed at both ends with black silicone between the bellows and the wood and over the fasteners that hold the bellows on to insure a light tight setup.

I have installed a cold shoe and dual axis level, the two brackets that once held a handle are installed but I did not install a new handle, I will leave that up to you if you wish.

Five lens boards are included, I made a slight mistake when ordering them and they are currently 90X96mm, they should be 96X96mm but they will work as they are. They have been stained to match the camera and there are two with Copal 0, one Copal 1, and two blank. They are recessed on the rear to allow for a retaining ring and the blank ones would be perfect for mounting a flange for that Euryscop you have laying around.

The spring back is in great condition and can be rotated to the vertical position. The ground glass is very nice and has a 1/2" grid (12mm) with clipped corners for ease of focusing. The camera has geared front rise, front swing, front tilt. The rear is geared tilt only. The focus rail is geared and an extension is included. The camera will fold up to a pretty small package (see photo) but enough rail is included to extended all the way out to 500mm of bellows draw.

I am really unsure what to ask for this beautiful camera and you are not likely to find one in this condition. I will start it at $1 and let the "auction" run for three days. At the end of that time I will sell to the highest bidder as long as it is not $10...

Shipping is actual and the camera with packing will be about 10lbs. Unfortunately it will not fit in a large USPS Flat Rate box.

I have to say the reserve on this camera is $150, I have to at least get my investment back out of it but I have spent at least 20 hours on this beautiful piece of history.

Good luck!

The other 10 photos are here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3855704...7623947536662/
    Last edited by photobizzz; 04-27-2010 at 11:15 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "A picture is a poem without words"
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    35mm
    I almost forgot, I even had a little brass plate engraved with the exact same info that was painted on the front standard since I had to remove it to restore it.
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    boy Colin,

she's a beaut!!! great job!

-Dan

Shooter
    35mm
    Thanks Dan.

Also a quick plug for me: I am currently waiting for a spinal surgery so I have time, I am not going to work as I cannot take my pain medicine and drive so I stay home. I will also be home after the surgery for a minimum of 6 weeks. I also can do this work in my spare time after I do finally go back to work full time. (benefit of being in the Army, I still get paid) To keep busy I work on cameras. I currently am restoring a Folmer & Schwing RB Graphic 6.25X8.25 for an APUG member Richard and am happy to take your currently crappy wooden camera and give it the "Colin" treatment as I have done with this 4X5 Gundlach. I am affordable and can give you a quote via email if you shoot me an email with a few photos of your camera. I guarantee your satisfaction and you will get more than you pay for, I promise. (I am a bit of a perfectionist, and don't cut corners)
    Last edited by photobizzz; 04-28-2010 at 12:23 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    ~Horace~

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Beautiful work Colin.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Colin,

Do you have any "before" pictures?

I think your reserve price is pretty low. That's a beautiful camera.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I dunno Collin, I have to agree with Sully, the minimum price is pretty low really, and it is a beautiful bunch of work you put into it too. Plus, 20 hours of work you put into it....
    Tim Flynn

Shooter
    35mm
    I'll start it at $40. Beautiful piece of work!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Nice looking camera. Maybe you should reconsider how you want to sell, because the post is confusing. If the minimum you'd accept is $150, what's the point of starting the bidding at $1 and why are you stating that you'll take the highest "bid" as long as it's over $10? Honestly, I'd think you'd get better results reposting the ad with something like $250 or best offer. You obviously put a lot of work into the restoration and I think the idea of an classifieds "auction" will needlessly deter potential buyers.

Shooter
    35mm
    Geez! You can tell I was paying attention. Sorry.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin