Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,516   Posts: 1,543,733   Online: 885

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Galli Garage Sale! Petzval's! ULF! Antique Bokeh! #3

Once upon a time about 1969 - 70 ish, Schneider needed a wide field process lens and the answer at least in that early time frame was the Goerz Dagor formula of lens. Later G-Claron's are Plasmats of course. Also superb, and cheaper to produce.

All of the Dagor type G-Claron's are scarcer than the later plasmats because they were only in production for a couple of years, and the scarcest of the scarce is this 270mm. This is a delightful lens in use on 8X10. It's feather light and has ALL of the quality of the Kern Gold Dot Dagor's at a fraction of what those get on Ebay.

As good as the Plasmat's are, I have continued to believe that these Dagor type G-Claron's have a slight edge in the way they divide up the contrast. They simply make excellent negs in difficult outdoor environs. That's important to us desert dwellers.

Here is the ULF in the title above. This 270mm G-Claron would be usable on 11X14 / 7X17 the same as any 10 3/4" Dagor type. Try to find a coated late 10 3/4" Goerz Dagor. Even when you do, you're in for a spendy lens. If it's got gold up front, it's incredibly spendy, and it's likely in a big clunky Ilex #4 shutter. Cake and eat it too. This is in a Copal 1 press. The aperture scale is 100% accurate even if not pretty.

Caveats that will cost me about $225 over what I would ask for a perfect example....it was cleaned carelessly in it's previous life as a process lens in Germany, and there are some cleaning scratches front and back. Effect on finished negs? Less than 1% contrast loss. Nothing at all really. This lens will delight you......guaranteed.

$335 + shipping
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Jim- any ideas if it will cover 14x17, even if only at very small apertures?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    looks to me like you got a dead fly on your backdrop in the first few images.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Jim- any ideas if it will cover 14x17, even if only at very small apertures?
    Hi Scott. No, in fact it's somewhat weak in the very corners on 1114. Jim
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by pryan9 View Post
    looks to me like you got a dead fly on your backdrop in the first few images.
    No doubt killed by flying too close to the piercing sharpness of these lenses I'm selling. Buyers Beware. Keep your pets a safe distance.
    Last edited by jimgalli; 05-10-2010 at 03:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    lol

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sold over at LFForum. Thanks ALL!

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin