Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,925   Posts: 1,556,755   Online: 1033

Shooter
    Large Format

Canham Traditional 7 x 17 camera and holders

I’ve decided to sell my Canham Traditional (wood) 7x17 camera. It is a beautiful camera, and I’ve been very happy with it, but I haven’t used this camera in over 2 years, preferring my 8x10 Arca.

This is the Black Walnut version of the Canham with the 36-inch bellows, and it accepts the standard Sinar lens boards. I purchased the camera from Quality Camera in Atlanta around 2005—the serial number is 20545. Talking to Keith Canham, he thinks he made this in 2004 or so, Specs for this camera can be found on Keith Canham’s site at http://www.canhamcameras.com/larger.htm.

The original Canham ground glass has been replaced with a GVB Groundglass with the Lumigrid option, from Geert van der Broeck. The grid is etched into the glass and is very faint, but I have tried to show it in the photo. The original Canham ground glass is also included with this sale.

Also included with this sale are three (3) AWB Walnut 7x17 film holders, dated 2006, in perfect mechanical and cosmetic condition. Specs for these holders can be found on Alan W. Brubaker's site at http://www.filmholders.com/filmho1.html.

Mechanical condition: Mint. This camera has been gently used and carefully stored.
    Cosmetic condition: Excellent, with little signs of use, except as follows—

a) Slight denting on the machined front edge of the wooden rear standard where it contacts the metal rails holding the front standard when the camera is folded (see photo).

b) Index marks have been lightly filed on the left rail which holds the front standard, to show “zero” position (see photo).

c) Two (2) additional 1/4x20 threaded holes professionally machined into the metal tripod mount on the base (see photo) This was to allow better fastening of a Really Right Stuff mounting rail to fit my Arca B2 ballhead. Note: the RRS mounting rail and the Arca B-2 Ballhead are NOT included in this sale.

Price: $4000 for the entire kit.
    Shipping: FREE to APUG Subscribers in the USA (all 50 states). International shipping by arrangement.
    Payment: I will accept either Paypal (as a gift, only), or certified funds such as a Certified Bank Check or USPS Money Order. I will offer a 5% discount for Certified Funds. All payments must be accepted and cleared by my bank prior to shipment.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I just found some boxes of un-opened Ilford FP-4 film for this camera. It is expired, but it has been frozen since I purchased it from the View Camera Store. I'll pack it with this camera, FREE.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I would be SO on this if I hadn't just bought a Canham 14x17. Best of luck with it!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    I would be SO on this if I hadn't just bought a Canham 14x17. Best of luck with it!
    All I can say is wow, a 14x17! What film you are going to use in it? And I'm still sitting here still wanting a Canham 5x7, I'm speechless. Maybe I should set my sights a wee bit higher.
    Everytime I find a film or paper that I like, they discontinue it. - Paul Strand - Aperture monograph on Strand

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Images
    Curt,

If I remember correctly at one time you were setting up a 138S Durst and looking at my (Mutmansky) conversion to 8x10 cold light. I also use the cold light as my light source when I contact print 7x17 through a print frame resting on the Durst table. You could set that up using this Canham 7x17.

John Powers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    For now, I'm shooting FP4+. I MIGHT get some Tmax 400 later if there is still some available, but at nearly $400 a box, I've got to be careful.

Shooter
    Large Format

Price Reduced!

Price reduced to $3800.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin