Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,549   Posts: 1,544,644   Online: 790

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

FS 1953 Leica IIf (run of 5000) and Voightlander Bessa 66 "Baby Bessa"

For sale are two very different, yet classy cameras. One works perfectly, one, unfortunately, does not.

Let's talk about the Leica IIf. This is an updated 1953 version with a slow speed dial on the front like the IIIf. The serial number on Cameraquest's list indicates this was a rare run, with only 5000 being made in this particular serial number range versus the 35,000 and 18,000 IIIfs being made in the runs directly before and after it.

The shutter works and the film advances (take up spool is, of course, included).

Unfortunately, the one second speed, and, as far as my extensive testing has shown, *only* the one second speed, tends not to work.

I have used a digital stopwatch to test the slow speeds between 1/2 and 1/25, and all of them have times well within the range of simple human reaction time delay - hundredths of a second. All other camera functions (ASA selector, rangefinder, etc.) work as they should.

Also, the collapsible Leitz-Elmar 50mm f/3.5 looks fine at first glance, but under the "flashlight test" it has some serious fungus / hazing issues going on. I can't determine whether etching has occurred or not, so I'm selling this under the assumption that it is unusable - but it may be able to be cleaned.

The IIf is in great cosmetic condition with only the usual minor, thin scratching on the bottom plate. Let's call it "in collectible condition unless CLA'd" with the one-second issue and dubious lens. If you put a known good lens on and didn't need precisely the one-second time (Bulb and Time work along with the other speeds), it's certainly usable.

Includes front lens cap, original instruction manual, and original case.

Photo album of the Leica on Photobucket

Next is a much less lengthy description.

It's a Voightlander Bessa 66 folder, the classic "Baby Bessa", that makes 6x6cm images. It's my understanding that, based on the viewfinder, this is a pre-war model. All speeds and apertures work and the glass is in great shape. The only cosmetic defect, and it's a real shame, is some sort of sticker that is now nearly impossible to remove from the side of the camera where you push in to open the back, and about literally 1-2mm of missing leatherette next to the same area. This is pictured. Lens is a Voightlander Vaskar 75mm/4.5. This thing oozes class, and if you can find a way to remove the sticker on the side, more power to you. I'm selling it how it is because I can't get it off.

The Baby Bessa on Photobucket

I'm taking offers and inquiries via PM for either camera or both.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    what kind of rough prices ? Offers is too vague.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    My dream price is $500 for the Leica and lens, based on full value minus repair cost, and $150 for the Bessa 66. Make offers from there - I'm selling essentially because I need the money and I know prices are constantly in flux for these sorts of cameras.

Thanks for the interest,
    steve
    Last edited by st3ve; 06-14-2010 at 02:55 PM. Click to view previous post history. Reason: Because I need the money

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    192 views and no interest at a price under 1/2 of that on the auction site?

Again, I'm taking offers because I need some money and I really don't want to have to start slashing prices to a point that I'll regret later.

Any interest on the Leica at $400? $100 for the Voightlander?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Around this time every year the market stagnates and it happens on APUG and ebay and elsewhere, items don't seem to sell, it's a bargain time for the few active buyers.

The summer is about started, the kids finishing school, college & University for the long break, parents are saving or paying for holidays, the reality is there's far less spare cash and potential buyers around for things like cameras during the next 2-3 months.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    In light of recent prices, the Leica is $300 shipped in the Continental US.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Leica has been sold - still have the Bessa 66 and taking offers on it.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin