Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,558   Posts: 1,573,291   Online: 960

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by gandolfi View Post
    just out of curiosity: why is it, that so many don't want to send overseas?

I don't get it, but maybe you have an explanation (?)

regards
    emil
    Note that whenever I sell stuff I do ship outside the US, but I can completely understand why people don't:

-- a dozen more places for misunderstandings "I didn't know it would cost that much to ship" "I couldn't believe how much import duty they wanted so I refused the shipment" "I don't believe this is what you said you were selling I want you to pay for me to ship it back and give me all my money back" that either don't exist when shipping within the US or are at least much cheaper to deal with.

-- huge gap in shipping cost needs between the buyer (cheap as possible to ship) and seller (most highly tracked and guaranteed shipping possible) which makes it hard to come to an agreement on shipping costs.

-- Big risk for seller if something goes wrong - buyer says package never arrived, wants a refund, ruins seller's reputation if they don't receive one. Note that this doesn't even have to be due to a dishonest buyer: stories of packages stolen out of the Italian mail are legendary over here.

-- Need to pack items much much more securely for the longer journey.

And on and on. Life is simpler if you are a US seller and don't ship outside the US. I recently sold and shipped a DA900 enlarger to a guy in Italy and through a complete screwup on my part I ended up making about $17 on the deal, not even counting the 2 hours spent packaging the parts. But I appreciate it when international sellers go through the hassle of sending me things, and so I'm paying it forward. Plus I figure if I lose money on a single deal somewhere, I've made it up on all the other deals, so I don't worry too much about it.

Duncan
    Last edited by frobozz; 06-20-2010 at 09:45 AM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

I've had trouble also with overseas shipments....

...shipped a mint black Nikon prism to Australia via regular Air Mail...buyer said it never arrived; shipped a Minox GT to Singapore...same result. Never again. Now I ship out of CONUS only with full insurance and signature confirmation. It definitely hurts the foreign buyers, but what else can we do?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Never ship first class overseas, at least with priority mail you can kind of track where your item ends up. I've shipped hundreds of things overseas and only had a problem with one flash which went to China and came back almost a year later. I guess the buyer never went to get it out of customs and their mail system finally (and quite surprisingly) returned it.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by illumiquest View Post
    Never ship first class overseas, at least with priority mail you can kind of track where your item ends up. I've shipped hundreds of things overseas and only had a problem with one flash which went to China and came back almost a year later. I guess the buyer never went to get it out of customs and their mail system finally (and quite surprisingly) returned it.
    +1

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've shipped items all over the world, but with insurance and signature confirmation, as Karl suggested. While it may cost the buyer a bit more, they have always been very happy (and grateful).

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Now who is going to buy that beautiful Rolleiflex!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Having bought quite a number of items from APUG sellers (all but 1 in the US the other in Israel) I can honestly say that it's as easy buying from the US as the UK, items arrive usually within a week, shipping not too bad unless you're buyin a 10x8 camera

Prices are very significantly lower, I'd snap this Rollei up if I had spare cash, hang the no shipping outside the US, I'd get it shipped to another US member and then re-shipped, fully insured, tracked etc.

That doesn't maen I haven't had problems, I have twice, once the seller never shipped kept promising anmd with help from a moderator also stung by the same person I eventually got my money back.

The second item never arrived, but because I had faith in the seller I/we waited patiently with excellent communications & trust between us, the item was returned to him months later by the post as uncollected (here in Turkey) and I received it with no glitches 2nd attempt this time to the UK.

It is about trust, using the right form of postage, as a buyer not wanting the cheapest option unless your prepared to accept a risk. The onus is at least that the seller can provide proof of postage but I'd expect this in a UK/UK or US/US transactions s well.

Ian

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Re APUG sellers not coming through: i think we do need a feedback forum, if only to warn fellow APUG buyers.
    I'm still waiting for something right now (and i know it's not just me). Have, of course, asked the seller about it, and the day i did was the very last time the seller logged in at APUG.

But now i have given this thread a push that made it derail compeletely. Sorry!

So let's concentrate on the Rolleiflex.

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    One time I shipped some gear to a guy in Belgium...but some brainless person at the US Post Office routed it to Belize. (Hey, they got the first 3 letters right! Just not, you know, the CONTINENT...) It did eventually get there, much tanks to the Belize postal folks, but if I hadn't had the more expensive postage with tracking, everyone involved would have been quite upset, assuming the worst. Definitely get tracking.

Duncan

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    sorry for sidetracking this thread.

But what I don't quite understand is the people that "don't sell overseas.. period!".

I have bought many items from USA - from fleebay and from here and also from LF forum (also USA/Canada).

IF the seller doesn't want to send the item to me, I try to tell him/her, that I take the responsibility - I wait for the customs to clear - I'll never "punish" a seller for problems that is not the fault of the seller.

On flee bay I have 100% positive feedback and so on...

If the seller then refuses to send it anyway, then I really don't understand.
    I have had items that I was prepared to triple the selling price for what became the final price, but was refused even to make a bid....

That confuses me...

And now back to the item in question: the ROLLEIFLEX!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin