Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,852   Posts: 1,582,888   Online: 975

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

Yashica 124 - EX+ for sale/trade for 4x5 (includes lens hood and close up lens)

Hello out there in analog photography land.

On the sale block today is a Yashica 124 (not a g). These cameras are known for their moderately decent optics, fun design and relatively inexpensive price tag. It's a "great intro to medium format"(TM)

I'm almost 100% sure that I had this camera CLA'd by Mark Hama when I bought it circa 7 years ago. I've used it minimally since then. I hesitate to call it mint but there isn't a scratch on it that I can see. There is a minimal amount of dust in the focusing screen, about what you'd expect for a camera that's been sitting for a couple of years in its case. Meaning, not a whole lot, but a little.

The case is a little beat up and reinforced with gaffers tape. But totally useable. The front of the case is removable so you can use the camera with the rear of the case easily.

The camera comes with a plastic lens hood and a yashica #1 "taking lens" which I think is a close up lens. I think the close up lens is of relatively dubious value but it is what it is...if you want to mess with one, there it is. The hood is 100% necessary for this camera.

I've shot about 6 rolls with it in the last month and it's totally functional (once I figured out how to load the film). These cameras can be a tiny bit fussy about film indexing, and the best thing you can do is get in the habit of winding all the way and then immediately folding the lever back in its hole. I haven't really had a problem with it, but like all of these cameras, you don't want to force the mechanism.

It takes 120 and 220 film.

Basically it is a good starter MF camera. It's a really fun thing to carry around. Much smaller than the Mamiya C330 I bought to replace it. No hassle.

Oh yeah, the light meter is quite a bit better than I was expecting. It's fairly crude, I think it's like 100% of the frame or something, but in messing around with it, I found that if you metered carefully (like pointing it at some grass or something) and then composed, you'd be pretty close to my hand-held meter. I still used my hand held meter but it was interesting...you could make it work. It seems accurate.

Based on prices online I'm going to price this at $185 and see what happens. $15 S+H in the US. I'm not going to ship out of the US at this point, sorry. This is an as-is sale, but it is as described. I have a 100% feedback rating on ebay, fiddle_paul

Any questions, let me know.

Pictures to follow.
    Paul
    paulmcevoy.net
    flickr.com/paulmcevoy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images

pictures taken of and with the camera...

paulmcevoy.net
    flickr.com/paulmcevoy

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    couple more notes...

The dust on the camera lens is on it, not in it. No dust or fungus or cleaning marks as far as I can see.

I'm interested in getting a 4x5 that I can use as a portrait camera. Mostly interested in a anniversary or post-anniversary graphic camera but will consider others, including older field cameras. I'd be happy to consider partial trades of equal value for the Yashica.

Other things I can throw in to sweeten the deal:
    pretty darn good Fed-2 with 50mm 2.8 lens
    Pentax MX, good condition with slightly sticky shutter
    Vivitar 285 (questionable whether this flash is ok for digital cameras, I'm not sure it's vintage. Also I think the shoe is messed up. But does work with PC cable)
    Canon ST-E2 transmitter.

If you have something reasonable for trade, let me know and I'll see what else I have lying around. The Fed is pretty sweet...I have an M6 now, so don't need it.
    paulmcevoy.net
    flickr.com/paulmcevoy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have a Calumet 4X5 rail camera that is in perfect condition. It's not a field camera, but is light weight and has a rotating back so you can shoot portrait or landscape. I could through in a couple of film holders, but the lenses I have are truthfully worth more than the camera. I have a couple of Zorki 4K's, and they are the only 35mm I shoot with. Someone broke into my truck and stole my Yashica Mat, so I'm looking to replace it. Let me know what you think.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Fed and Yashica are gone, other odds and ends are still around.
    paulmcevoy.net
    flickr.com/paulmcevoy

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Nice little cameras. Just look at the pictures above, and make sure to check out the bokeh. I recently shot a roll thru a 124G model that I just replaced the seals on and the portraits I took were very classic looking.
    W.A. Crider

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin