Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,908   Posts: 1,521,518   Online: 898

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Medium Format

Nikkor 63mm Elarging Lens

Legendary lens in perfect condition. Check it out! $150 or best offer. Thanks.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    This is a Super Sweet lens indeed... somebody scoop it up !!

E76
    Shooter
    Instant Films
    Images
    What, exactly, makes this lens so special and how does it compare to Schneider and Rodenstock lenses?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by E76 View Post
    What, exactly, makes this lens so special and how does it compare to Schneider and Rodenstock lenses?
    Nothing really. I suppose it would be ideal if you were working with 127 negatives, but otherwise there's no point. It doesn't have enough coverage for 6x4.5, so it's not even good for the smallest of currently available medium format negatives. It will work for 35mm negatives, but you'd need to raise the head higher for a given print size, and I don't see where that's of any practical advantage unless your aim is to make small prints from 35mm negatives with a 4x5 enlarger. But in that case, you can easily use a more common 80 mm enlarging lens. The higher end 50 and 80 mm enlarging lenses from Nikon, Schneider, and Rodenstock are very, very good and I'm hard pressed to see anything that works substantially better.
    Frank Schifano

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by fschifano View Post
    Nothing really. I suppose it would be ideal if you were working with 127 negatives, but otherwise there's no point. It doesn't have enough coverage for 6x4.5, so it's not even good for the smallest of currently available medium format negatives. It will work for 35mm negatives, but you'd need to raise the head higher for a given print size, and I don't see where that's of any practical advantage unless your aim is to make small prints from 35mm negatives with a 4x5 enlarger. But in that case, you can easily use a more common 80 mm enlarging lens. The higher end 50 and 80 mm enlarging lenses from Nikon, Schneider, and Rodenstock are very, very good and I'm hard pressed to see anything that works substantially better.
    I would be interested in the reason why Nikon decided to produce this lens. I have one, and it is just as good as the other 6-element Nikon, Schneider or Rodenstock lenses I've tried. It should have a bot more coverage than a regular 50mm lens, and therefore, have less fall-off.
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    [QUOTE=RalphLambrecht;... It should have a bot more coverage than a regular 50mm lens, and therefore, have less fall-off.[/QUOTE]
    That's why I use a six element 60mm Rodagon for my 35 mm negs. Ye olde lab ratz told me always use a lens of longer focal length than necessary to cover the image for better edge sharpness and most even illumination possible. Who am I to quibble with them?.
    John, Mount Vernon, Virginia USA

Shooter
    Multi Format
    First of all, I never implied that it was a bad lens. I only said it's nothing special. It was designed for negatives larger than 35mm and smaller than 6x4.5 - makes it just about right for square 127 negatives, but who shoots that stuff anymore outside of a very user baby Rollie and similar camera users? I have one each of the 6 element, 50 mm high end enlarging lenses from Nikon, Schneider, and Rodenstock and have never seen a fall -off problem with any of them. While that argument may be valid for lesser lenses, it is meaningless when held up to the shorter high quality enlarging lenses.

This lens does have some popularity among the UV (not IR, but UV) photography crowd because this lens is supposed to be somewhat better corrected for focus shifts in the near UV light range. Mount it onto a bellows and you can have a near UV lens on the cheap, or so they say. And while it is true that enlarging papers are sensitive to UV light, there's not a whole lot of it coming out of the business end of an enlarger, so that's a lame excuse too.
    Frank Schifano

the villages .centralflorida,USA and Germany
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    ... I have one each of the 6 element, 50 mm high end enlarging lenses from Nikon, Schneider, and Rodenstock and have never seen a fall -off problem with any of them. ...
    I haven't seen it either, but I'm sure there is some visible if you do a medium-gray test print at grade 5. Anyway, I doubt that it is a big deal. Edge sharpness wide open may be another reason.

... This lens does have some popularity among the UV (not IR, but UV) photography crowd because this lens is supposed to be somewhat better corrected for focus shifts in the near UV light range. ...
    UV? That rings a bell. Is that what this lens was designed for?
    Regards

Ralph W. Lambrecht
    www.darkroomagic.comrorrlambrec@ymail.com[/URL]
    www.waybeyondmonochrome.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Not really. The UV correction was touted mostly as a selling point; Nikon saying, "Our lens is corrected for focus shift aall the way down to the near UV range and the competition isn't." But from what I've read, the DIY UV photography crowd have been rigging up some Rube Goldberg devices to mount these things in focusing helicals or bellows for use on 35 mm SLR's. Here's one guy's efforts doing it with the older f/3.5 version of the lens. Poke around a little more and you can turn up some more info.

Who goes around making medium gray test prints on grade 5 paper? I suppose some nerd somewhere will think it's great fun.
    Frank Schifano

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have one each of the 6 element, 50 mm high end enlarging lenses from Nikon, Schneider, and Rodenstock and have never seen a fall -off problem with any of them. .
    How are you using them? If you are not doing big enlargements, you are only using the center anyway. For big enlargements, the corner resolution will fall off to some extent with all 3. Easly minimized by a longer focal length lens or a "High Magnification" lens of the same focal length.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin