Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,295   Posts: 1,535,670   Online: 1163

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    Vaughn--I'd love to hear about your methods and results. I plan on expanding as well for alt-process contacts, but perhaps the base fog won't be an issue as long as it's even. I'll try Pyrocat HD for a start. Time to dust off the densitometer.
    My normal developer lately has been Ilford PQ Universal developer and I might start with that. But I might give HC-110 another shot -- I think I have heard that it is known as a clean working developer, which I think means it would give less base fog than some others. I use to bake the Tri-X in it (25 minutes in Dil. B, constant agitation) to get high contrast, but with minimal base fog. But like you, I am not worried too much about base fog -- I have used out-dated film and have lived with base fog before.

But with my carbon printing, I use negs with a high density range (higher than needed for pt/pd), and have used bleaching to reduce the shadows a little (clear in the smallest shadows where I don't need detail). On some negatives I followed the beaching with selenium toner to move the highlights the other way. I don't like to have to do such post treatment, but sometimes the image is worth it.

Hope you don't mind the chatter, vedmak!

Vaughn
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PM sent re: remaining unsealed box.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    All film is sold,payments pending. Thank you everyone for your interest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin