Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,056   Posts: 1,561,386   Online: 1057

Shooter
    35mm

Thomas Duplex super safelight

Thomas Duplex super safelight, complete, lights up to full brightness in a few minutes. Needs to to have foam seals around the doors removed and replaced as they are worn/degraded.

$100 OBO + actual shipping costs, I have two of these units available.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Worth noting that at this time Freestyle still offers the full range of replacement filter sets and replacement low pressure sodium vapor tubes for this safelight. Good to know for the future if you are thinking about purchasing this unit today.

Ken
    Last edited by Ken Nadvornick; 09-01-2010 at 11:57 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Dan, where are you located?
    Go not to the elves for counsel, for they will say both yes and no.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Does this have the filters with it? If so, what are they?
    Thank you
    Items for sale or trade at www.Camera35.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    These are great safelights, however Freestyle is way overpriced on the bulb. Here's the same bulb for $36 instead of $120.

http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_...roductID=46477

-Ed

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by EdSawyer View Post
    These are great safelights, however Freestyle is way overpriced on the bulb. Here's the same bulb for $36 instead of $120.

http://www.topbulb.com/find/Product_...roductID=46477
    Yes, I've seen this before. But FWIW, I've also read speculation in other places that the Thomas replacement versions were cherry-picked from the standard line. Now just which qualities of the bulbs might show sufficient normal deviation that cherry-picking would become desirable, I do not know. Could be an urban myth. But that's what I've read in the past from more than one source.

Agreed that they are very good safelights. When fog-tested with Kentmere Bromide in my darkroom (pre-flashed, combined yellow/red filters, vanes all the way open), the first sign of fog didn't appear until the 30 minute mark.

Since that test I've reworked the filter pack by adding a carefully selected sharp-cutting Roscoe theatrical filter that serves to remove all of the additional unwanted secondary sodium emission lines that pose a danger, so now it's even more safe.

These are good units.

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    35mm
    Sorry for the slow response!

Quick summary:
    I have one unit left, I am in the Seattle area, the remaining unit has 5 filters, one is cracked and the others need to have their gels replaced:

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin