Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,592   Posts: 1,546,080   Online: 918

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

spotting dyes/ data guides

Another one of those boxes ended up in my class room recently.

Included an unopened spotone kit, has an eyedropper and the directions and an unopened bottle of Marshall's neutral black. $12 dollars plus shipping for all.

Also, a Kodak Black and white darkroom dataguide, looks as if it hasn't been used and a Kodak Complete Darkroom dataguide . If you really look closely and hunt there are a few signs of age. This guide includes color infomation as well and has a lot of other interesting tips. This is the first time i have seen this book but the other is a classic . $10 for the duo plus shipping,

Two packs of printfiles never opened . each page holds 4 3.5x5 prints. I think each pack has at least 50 pages. I didn't want to open the pack and start putting finger prints all over the pages. $10 for both plus shipping. no photo as the glare is awful , (all that plastic )
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails DSCN0889.JPG   DSCN0888.JPG  
    http://www.aclancyphotography.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    PM incoming for spot tone

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The colour data guide came with two ring around posters for prints from negs and prints from transparencies, as well as paper samples of different types and surfaces.
    These can all be lived without.
    The gem of gold that cannot is a dial calculator that shipped with the combined dataguide. One size of it is used for translating print time and aperture of a good exposure for aperture changes or enlarger head height changes, as well as changes old Kodak polycontrast filters made when changing from one grade to another.

The obverse side is the most useful of all. It allows film time and temperature to be distilled to a single development number. The dial then shows all of the equivalent times at other temperatures adjacent to the standard 20C. The development number portion allows you to easily adjust to push or pull development by percentages and then get easily calculated resulting times.

I use mine all the time. My film development notes read like : FP4- d76 1:1 DD39. This gives the time and temp pairings to see what may be used again without trying to get a perfect temperature match.

The older blacka nd white data guide also has this dial calcutor bound in, and gives better information on how to manupulate development time to account for lens flare, subject contrast range etc, and gives information on the nature of the toe shape of old traditional films, and how to develop to best use it to your advantage.
    my real name, imagine that.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    mike,

thanks for the information, not to disagree but the one that contains color info doesn't have any additional wheel i.e. be classic darkroom guide that does.

perhaps it was in addition too?
    there are quite a few directions for developing color negatives including c-41 and e-6

has some examples of color prints with various over /under images

it also has examples of various negatives over/under/normal processing.

same with printing and controling contrast.

it has a lot of helpful tips.

I remember the days when Kodak phamplets had terrific information. Ah, those where the days ...........

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    spotting dyes have been sold.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yes. I have several of both the Color & B/W Dataguides.

the real gem is the "Shirley" reference neg & print in some of the older Color dataguides and the vintage of the guide determines what film she is shot on and what type paper.

These guides changed over time.

I have a Master Darkroom Dataguide, and 2 different Color Dataguides.

They have gray cards and other reference targets that are handy.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ann View Post
    mike,

thanks for the information, not to disagree but the one that contains color info doesn't have any additional wheel i.e. be classic darkroom guide that does.

perhaps it was in addition too?
    there are quite a few directions for developing color negatives including c-41 and e-6

has some examples of color prints with various over /under images

it also has examples of various negatives over/under/normal processing.

same with printing and controling contrast.

it has a lot of helpful tips.

I remember the days when Kodak phamplets had terrific information. Ah, those where the days ...........
    I'd better have them then, please

They'd make a great addition to my collection, it's interesting because US & UK Kodak literature and info differs

Ian

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The color data guide that preceeded the combined data guide (yes, I collect these things) has a better guide in the back pages for runnign a sink line for C-41 and E-6. as to keeping properties, replenishment rates, etc. Not as detailed as the Z- manuals, but in an easier to acces format.

As to "Betty's", mine have never been in the used ones, but I have made one a 'Laura' - one of my wife in the front yard holding under her chin a grey card in one hand, and a data guide open to the swatch page in the other. I shot off two rolls in the same light on the same film, and would process about 4" snipped off and loaded with each run of c-41 to do a bit of process control, and check how different home mixed formulae work.
    my real name, imagine that.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    great story.

ann

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    the kodak guides have been sold

printfiles still available

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin