Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,276   Posts: 1,534,736   Online: 903

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

FS: Seneca Improved View 8x10, rail, boards, bellows

Hi, all -

Time has come to downsize. I'm selling my user Seneca Improved View 8x10:

When I got this camera it was in rough shape. Holes have been patched, finish restored, tarnish polished. It's far from a shelf queen, but is a solid user with new bellows, new lensboards, and the matched extension rail. It's a solid camera. Movements include geared rise/fal, rear tilt and swings, front and rear standards move.

Included, most importantly, is a new bellows, hand-made by Sandeha Lynch, in royal blue. The folds look a little sloppy when compressed all the way, but there are no misfolds and the bellows are light-tight and look a treat. The bellows compress completely into the standard and the camera folds as intended.

Also included are five drilled lensboards. Four of them are three-piece construction of poplar; the last is a one-piece board. All solid wood - no plywood here. Finish mimics the original - black lacquer. One is drilled Copal 1, one for the Super Angulon 121/8 (can't remember the size), the others for Petzvals of different sizes. These all fit correctly - the Improved View used a stepped profile on the back of the boards to slide up, then into the bottom retainer. And it works.

Finally, the original extension rail is included in the sale. With the extension, the full draw is nearly 26" front standard to ground glass. And the bellows accommodate that easily.

Now, there are a few things to note on this camera: It's a user. While I spent a good deal of time reworking it (and the whole rehab is detailed on my blog, which I recommend interested parties review) it is not a complete restoration. There are some minor imperfections in finish. The brightwork cleaned up nicely, but still shows some signs of age and use. The plumb bob is missing, as is the bellows guide system that was part of the "Improved" design, though I've never encountered a use for this in practice. The gearing on the standards works well and smoothly, but if forced, will slip a little. Again, haven't had a problem with it in practice. There's a little wear between the front rail and the tripod block (photos of this, as well as a few other shots, are here). The handle, while intact, is old and worn. I never carried this camera using only the leather handle.

I've used this camera extensively over the past months, both at home and in the field. Considering the time I have in this, the five lensboards, the new bellows, and my original investment (and note that there are no lenses included in this sale), I'd like $425 plus shipping for this camera. PayPal only.

Scott

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Forgot to mention, I'd entertain trades, full or partial, for modern 4x5 field cameras as well...

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sold pending payment.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin