Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,538   Posts: 1,544,278   Online: 810

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format

Gitzo Studex 1320

Ranges from 22" to 72" with center post extended. Center post is reversible for low work. Very solid, stable platform. A bit of surface corrosion on the nuts. This was put into use when I tested a wide variety of pods for Pentax 67 duty. This was the best at dealing with the P67 system for me. I also have used this with a monopod attached to hold monolights after an emergency had me resort to that solution and it worked so well that I did it on other occasions. It's big enough to straddle church pews and solidly hold lights. I used it with a 3040 Bogen head. I may be selling that, too so please inquire if you would like the package. Weighs about 7 pounds. $85 + shipping and I'll give $5 to APUG.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1320a.jpg   1320b.jpg   1320c.jpg  
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    How do you attach a Bogen head to this? Looks like a big hole at the top of the column?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The picture showing the top of the pod is with the center shaft reversed as in the 3rd picture. The shaft has the head mounting stud on it. The Bogen head has a 3/8" hole and the tripod center shaft a 1/4" stud so I had one of those simple 1/4 to 3/8 adapters in between. The shaft is ready to attach about any tripod head. If someone wants to buy the 3040 head, I can include it I may have Loktite-mounted the adapter into the head?). When the center shaft is mounted in the normal upright position, the tripod top label pictured is hidden so I took the picture with it out of the way to better id what tripod it was.
    Last edited by craigclu; 10-12-2010 at 03:26 PM. Click to view previous post history.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Medium Format
    These Gitzo are indestructible beasts! I have three active users, incl. a ten foot one, (as well as some older in my collection) ... one of them lives permanently in my car and thus goes (almost) everywhere I go.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by craigclu View Post
    The picture showing the top of the pod is with the center shaft reversed as in the 3rd picture. The shaft has the head mounting stud on it. The Bogen head has a 3/8" hole and the tripod center shaft a 1/4" stud so I had one of those simple 1/4 to 3/8 adapters in between.
    Does the stud not reverse, have a 3/8" thread on the other side?
    My Gitzos all do.
    So perhaps an adapter isn't even needed.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    indeed it should.. ;-)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I'm accustomed to reversible studs on my light stands, etc and hadn't thought of that on this rig. It was quite a number of years ago that I originally mated these. I'm attaching a picture of that part of the shaft. If the stud is reversed, would it then need the adapter as I'm using it on the head side to attach to the tripod shaft top?

I'm also attaching a picture of the head (3047). I imagine its value at $40 if someone would like to buy the whole package.

By the way, I spent quite a bit of time testing various pods and head combos when I first was building a P67 kit. There was something about this head on this tripod that was especially well suited to P67 duties. I attached a laser pointer to the camera and reviewed the actual negatives. Some heavier rigs didn't fare as well... It just seemed tuned (detuned?) to the P67 vibrations.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1320d.jpg   1320e.jpg  
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Two other questions - what is the pin sticking up in the detail image in the original post, and what is the length of the legs collapsed, total?
    I'm looking for a light tripod for biking, and this might be it. I have Bogen heads I can use.
    And - did you check to see if the quarter inch stud might convert to 3/8?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    The pin keeps the center shaft from spinning when the shaft is in its lowest position (see the hole in the center shaft, top disk in the second group of pictures). Naturally, the center shaft also has the Gitzo twist lock to hold it in any height position, too. I believe the stud is reversible as someone stated but I can also supply one of my adapters if needed. The legs are about 25".

When you mention the biking application and lightness.... It's not a light pod (depending on your reference point). It weighed about 8.5 pounds with the Bogen 3047 head. I bought it years ago with a Rationale 3 head but the Bogen did better with the P67 gear. It would be an ideal 4X5 rig or MF SLR set. I don't know the format you would need to cover. I used it with P67's and 200 and 300 focal lengths successfully. It was better than a Bogen 3022 of a friend's at that duty. I also have a Bogen 3040 (the one Lester used to be seated on in his ads) with 3047 head. That works well for the P67 gear but is bulky and not portable at all.
    Craig Schroeder

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Images
    I sent a pm to you, Craig. So if everyone is still thinking about it and no one has committed, put me down for this find beast. George, this tripod is not a good one for bicycling. I know this because I used almost the exact model (but older -- model #300) for a 5 month, 2000 mile ride through New Zealand. Its weight capacity was over-kill for my Gowland PocketView (2.5lb w/ lens), but since I was 6'4", I liked the extra height.

Depending on your height and equipment, the next size down (the Reporter is what they use to call it) might be better for a bike. Some also come with 4 leg sections so are shorter when stored. My pod was carried crossways on the back of the bike -- I was a wide load!

Vaughn

PS...The 1320 would be for a light 5x7 camera, and yes, it might get on my bike, too!
    At least with LF landscape, a bad day of photography can still be a good day of exercise.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin