Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,920   Posts: 1,521,991   Online: 1073

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

FS - Bausch & Lomb Cinephor Lenses - Fast & Swirly

Up for sale today are 4 Bausch & Lomb Cinephor lenses.

1 - B&L Cinephor 5 3/4" f2, petzval construction
    2- B&L Cinephor II 5" f2, petzval construction
    3- B&L Super Cinephor, 5" f2
    4 - B&L Super Cinephor, 5" f2

All of these lenses are fairly large and heavy. I was able to barely squeeze them into a Pacemaker Speed. I have a board with around a 3" hole. I wrap the lens in a strip of silicone rubber and jam it into the opening.

All have reasonably clean glass with some minor scratching/scuffing/dirt/etc and maybe some very slight separation. The Super Cinephors are coated (since they date to around 1940, its a similar coating to early Ektars and similarly prone to scratching). From some research on line, they were designed to be factory sealed. One of the two is still sealed. On the other (I think #4, but might have been #3 - 50/50 chance I'm right), the rear cell was opened at some point. That lens has a bit more wear to the coating but nothing too noticeable except with a bright backlight.

I'll be attaching some sample photos to show coverage of each lens. Photos were taken at around 30' & 10-15' focus (I didn't use a loupe so its only approximate), using Ilford MGIV paper at ASA 3 as 4x5 "film" in a Speed Graphic, developed in Ilford MG developer and scanned (badly). The scans all show the full area of the 4x5 image.

Asking prices :
    1 - B&L Cinephor 5 3/4" f2, petzval construction $125 + shipping
    2- B&L Cinephor II 5" f2, petzval construction $75 + shipping
    3- B&L Super Cinephor, 5" f2 $75 + shipping
    4 - B&L Super Cinephor, 5" f2 $75 + shipping

Payment via paypal.

Thanks,
    Dan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails IMG_5889.JPG   IMG_5888.JPG   IMG_5890.JPG  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Lens #1

Lens #1 - lots of swirlies. I think this lens mechanically vignettes - note that the rear cell is recessed quite a bit into the brass barrel. I also observed with #2 that if you reverse the lens and put the larger cell in the back, it will cover more, although that will probably affect the swirliness (for good or bad, I don't know - didn't get to try)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 1-far.jpg   1-close.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Lens #2

Lens #2 - If you reverse the lens and put the larger cell at the back, the image circle is around 4". Otherwise, this lens would cover 6x6 or 6x7 well (although you lose some of the swirlies), but vignettes at 6x9. These photos were taken with the lens oriented normally.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 2-far.jpg   2-close.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Lens #3
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 3-far.jpg   3-close.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images

Lens #4

#4 - not really any different from #3 (as you'd expect)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 4-far.jpg   4-close.jpg  

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    black friday bump...

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I've tried out the front cells of #1 & #2 as a meniscus on 8x10. Both cover with no vignetting but lots (2-4 stops I'd guess) of roll-off into the corners. The center is reasonably sharp with transition into radial distortion going out out the edges. Depending on the focus distance, you can get some ripple in the transition area.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    cyber monday...last bump before the bay...

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin