Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,913   Posts: 1,556,252   Online: 961

Shooter
    35mm

FS/FT: Agfa Optima Ia / Agfamatic Ia - absolutely stunning condition! (with case)

Hi guys...

I got this (and another) camera today, as a sort of impulse buy. Then I got home and realized that it's not really something I want.

The camera is an Agfa Agfamatic Ia (which is the Canadian version of the Agfa Optima Ia, making it fairly rare, since it was only sold in Canada under this name). It has a 45mm f2.8 lens on it and I must admit I know nothing about the camera...however, as you'll see in the pictures it is in absolutely stunning shape. Quite frankly, aside from the case where someone had cut out a chunk for the winder, I can't see anything wrong with this camera. It also has the brightest chrome I have ever seen on a camera. It actually shines like chrome. It even has the original "Agfa Isopan" sticker on the inside of the back cover.

I do not know anything about these cameras, nor have I had the time/chance to test it with film, so it's being sold AS IS with no guarantees. However, it appears to be 100% functional and mint. There are a few things I can tell you about it:

- The viewfinder is very bright and clean.
    - The red/green "Magic Eye" (which tells you if there is enough light to take a picture) works perfectly.
    - All functions appear to work properly: the shutter winds and releases, the "R" for release button does what it's supposed to (releasing the roll when you're done), the aperture gets bigger/smaller as you adjust it, the film counter can be turned by hand (to reset it to zero, so it's obviously not stuck), etc.
    - No fungus or scratches on the lens
    - Anything that's supposed to "click" into place (aperture ring, places on the ring when you're focusing), do so accurately and with a feeling of firmness (ie: it feels like new)

I'm not entirely sure what it's worth, so I'm open to fair offers, OR I'd be very happy to trade this camera for Canon FD lenses or cameras, Soviet (Smena, Zenit, Zorki) lenses or cameras, or other rangefinder stuff. Try me with your cash or trade offer, I'll probably take it

Cheers,
    Tamas

And now for the pics:

MORE:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/IMG_1318.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/IMG_1323.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...e/IMG_1324.jpg

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I have one very similar. Mine has the winder on the bottom of the camera not the top. Hey something you should know, is this camera was the first AUTOMATIC EXPOSURE CAMERA IN THE WORLD. It operates exclusively off the selenium cell, no batteries required. And it makes some nice photographs too. http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=28689
    I love the wilderness and I love my trail cameras, all Fuji's! :) GA645, GW690 III, and the X100 which I think is the best trail camera ever invented (to date).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    pm sent
    j e s s i c a | d i t t m e r

Shooter
    35mm
    Perry: Thanks for the info and link, I saw that while I was researching on it as well, pretty cool piece of history...

Jessica: Thanks, PM'd you back as well

Shooter
    35mm
    SOLD to Jessica!

Thanks...on my way to the post office to mail it!

Shooter
    35mm
    Images

Not quite the first automatic exposure camera in the world.....

Quote Originally Posted by Perry Way View Post
    I have one very similar. Mine has the winder on the bottom of the camera not the top. Hey something you should know, is this camera was the first AUTOMATIC EXPOSURE CAMERA IN THE WORLD. It operates exclusively off the selenium cell, no batteries required. And it makes some nice photographs too. http://www.apug.org/gallery1/showima...mageuser=28689
    ....The Kodak Super Six-20 is accepted as being the first camera with automatic exposure, introduced by Kodak in 1938, long before this Agfa was introduced.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 366036620_ec2445a70b.jpg  

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin