FS/FT: Kodak Signet 40 camera with Signet M 40 flash
I got this (and another) camera today, as a sort of impulse buy. Then I got home and realized that it's not really something I want.
The camera is a Kodak Signet 40 with a Signet M 40 flash. The flash is attached in the pictures, but can be detached in 2 seconds with a single screw. The camera is in very nice condition (no scratches, dings or anything, though the chrome seems to be a tiny bit dulled in places). I'd give it an 8 or 9 out of 10. The fake leather is intact. The matching flash is a little worse off, as it has some residue from an old battery, has a few very light scratches on the bottom and the fake leather is starting to lift, though I'm sure it's no big deal to put it back in place with a dab of glue, and as you can see from the pics it's not noticeable. I'd rate it a 7 out of 10. On the bright side (pun intended) according to the guy who sold it to me it has a brand new flash bulb. (It's blue and made by GE haha). I'll also include the nifty green filter I got with it.
I do not know anything about these cameras, nor have I had the time/chance to test it with film, so it's being sold AS IS with no guarantees. However, it appears to be 100% functional. There are a few things I can tell you about it:
- The viewfinder is very bright and clean, and the rangefinder marks do what they're supposed to (line up when you're focused, don't line up when you're not).
- All functions appear to work properly: the shutter winds and releases, the rewind release button does what it's supposed to, the aperture gets bigger/smaller as you adjust it, etc.
- No fungus or scratches on the lens
- Anything that's supposed to "click" into place (aperture ring, shutter speed ring, do so accurately and with a feeling of firmness (ie: it feels like new). The lens moves in and out smoothly as you focus.
- Though I have not tested the shutter speeds (no idea how to), the 1/25-1/400 speeds appear to be accurate, but 1/10 and 1/5 sound like they're too slow. B works as it's supposed to.
I'm not entirely sure what it's worth, so I'm open to fair offers, OR I'd be very happy to trade this camera for Canon FD lenses or cameras, Soviet (Smena, Zenit, Zorki) lenses or cameras, or other rangefinder stuff. Try me with your cash or trade offer, I'll probably take it
This link will give you and prospective purchasers some useful info:
“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”
Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2
Thanks for the link, Matt!
SOLD! Boxed and ready to be shipped first thing in the morning