Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,824   Posts: 1,581,956   Online: 940

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Taylor, Taylor & Hobson 11.35" Rapid Rect. Early!

Long ago I was smitten by this lens and paid way too much. Ah, but it really really is a gorgeous piece of history. This was pre Cooke. Late 1880's?

It's in lovely shape with perfect glass and a silky smooth aperture.

As it states, it is made for full plate work. It covers 8X10 nicely too. 11.35 inch = 289mm. Lens board not included. Original correct TTH flange is included. Lens cap is unoriginal but protects well.

Aperture ring is engraved with the sellers name. Sold by The City Sale and Exchange, 54 Lime St. & 81 Aldersgate St., London. If it could only talk and tell me where it's been on it's journey to Tonopah, Nevada. $324 is what I remember paying for it. That's what I'll ask.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Fifth time I've looked and drooled, wonderful lens

Needs fitting to a nice British field camera, with a Thornton Pickard shutter.

Ian

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Grant View Post
    Fifth time I've looked and drooled, wonderful lens

Needs fitting to a nice British field camera, with a Thornton Pickard shutter.

Ian
    True - looks stunning on a Gandolfi!

JLP
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I have one of these, mine is marked 11.1" and is for whole plate. barely covers 8x10 with soft corners but a stunning lens it is.

Shooter
    ULarge Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    A Sale is pending and it appears it may find it's way back home.

Thanks All.

SOLD! And yes it IS going back to jolly old.

Almost sounds like TTH was grinding and polishing these one at a time, measuring the focal length they ended up with, then engraving the case. Interesting that 3 out of 3 all have slightly different focals.
    Last edited by jimgalli; 02-20-2011 at 11:58 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep..to gain that which he cannot lose. Jim Elliot, 1949

http://tonopahpictures.0catch.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin