Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,198   Posts: 1,531,449   Online: 780

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shutter testers

Shooter
    35mm
    Hello,

I've made an upgrade to the LCD tester. It can measure speeds up to 1/4000th of a second and the shutter speed is now displayed in camera speed, too.

The pic below is with a test done at 1/3000th of a second with an electronically controlled focal plane shutter.

Cheers,
    Florin

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Hello. If anyone interested: http://www.ebay.com/itm/160987322017.

Shooter
    Multi Format

4. The 1/2000th of a second LCD tester:

I've had the #4. The 1/2000th of a second LCD tester, for a bit over a year, and have been using it on most of my shutters during that time.

It's really quite simple: set the camera up in your darkroom or studio, on a tripod.
    Opposite the camera, set up a light ( I use a portable light table, about 10" X 12"). I set it up at a distance of about eight (8) feet, but use your own judgement.
    Focus the lens at infinity, directly and square to the light source.
    Eliminate extraneous light; I use a big changing bag: I peek the lens through one of the sleeves, and wrap the bag around the camera, then enter through the unzipped bottom.
    For a focal plane shutter, I use a small, light tripod behind the camera and with masking tape and a small stick ( I use tongue depressors) set the receptor at the centre of the shutter, about 1cm from the curtains.
    Zip the changing bag up most of the way, leaving the wire to the "unit" run through the small opening.
    Turn off all the lights in the room, except for the light source directly in front of the lens.
    Set the shutter at 1/30, turn on the tester, and fire the shutter. Record the readings. Repeat three (3) times.
    Set the shutter at 1/60, turn on the tester, and fire the shutter. Record the readings. Repeat three (3) times.
    Set the shutter at 1/125, turn on the tester, and fire the shutter. Record the readings. Repeat three (3) times.
    etc until the top speed has been tested.

Then, repeat the procedure, from the top speed ( repeating each test 3 times) until the bottom speed is reached (usually 1 sec.)

Then, repeat the procedure, from the bottom speed ( repeating each test 3 times) until the top speed is reached .

This will give you a good idea of the precision of the shutter, and a good judgement of how to adapt exposure at each shutter setting.

The test system is accurate. The test unit is accurate.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I just looked at the two videos (showing that latest model):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Vkj-fZbJxWk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MKayfBlzI90

Maybe I got a bad day, but I got no idea what at the display "m" and "M" mean. I am rather confused by what I see.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I have Florin's #4 tester and have checked it's accuracy on test equipment in my electronics design lab. It greatly surpasses the accuracy needed for testing mechanical shutters, as would be expected from a single chip microprocessor design such as this. The device is well constructed for its application/price/functionality and is easy to use, lot of value in this package.

I have turned a Delrin stepped adaptor stand for the sensor and cap for the light source that fits Copal 0 & 1 and dismount the the lenses for LF, test the naked shutters, put the values in a table, and expose according to the measured speeds. For the MF and 35mm, I measure periodically just to check when/if to CLA. I initially bought Florin's tester for portable use, verifying shutters on the road, and have, since receiving it, given up the bench test setup I built and use my #4 exclusively.

Florin is a great guy to deal with and you will not be disappointed with this useful tool.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Quote Originally Posted by AgX View Post
    I just looked at the two videos (showing that latest model):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Vkj-fZbJxWk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=MKayfBlzI90

Maybe I got a bad day, but I got no idea what at the display "m" and "M" mean. I am rather confused by what I see.
    Hello,

This shutter tester is build by me. M and m represents the Maximum value(1/M) and minimum value(1/m) of the last 10 readings.
    I thought is useful to know these values when someone measures the same speed repeatedly.
    If you have another questions regarding my tester please ask.

Dan

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    As indicated by another already: putting the manual(s) online might make things more clear, as seen by me not undserstanding what I saw in those videos.

Aside of that: interesting meters you made.
    Is only that latest model available or are the predecessors still available too?

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    What about an added outlet (like that in the first model) to visualize the shutter action by means of a computer with audio program or a oscillograph?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks to learning about these testers from this thread, I ordered a tester yesterday, and look forward to knowing what my shutters are really doing. There are many models listed on his auction site, and for those looking for one, you can see them under his page "vfmoto". For those interested, and since for some reason it took me a while to find them, I'll put the link here (not sure if it's allowed);

http://www.ebay.com/sch/vfmoto/m.htm...&_trksid=p3686

Many different models listed, from basic sound-card model to digital readout types, and even lists multi-paks available, such as a 20-pak.

AgX

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Thanks for that hint. But now the model from the videos does not show up (confusing).

Now I see there is even a new feature added to one model: curtain speed metering

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin