Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,811   Posts: 1,581,555   Online: 952
      
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 24
  1. #11
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    7,152
    Just a warning Barry, the wide angle lenses for the Mamiya C system had a reputation for being pretty variable in quality even when they were new some were excellent and others garbage, you have to be careful especially if there is any evidence that some previous owner has dismantled them to "clean" them, and destroyed the lenses collimation causing the elements to be no longer centred and parallel to each other .
    Ben

  2. #12
    Barry S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    DC Metro
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,263
    Images
    31
    Ben--That explains a lot. Hunting around the web, I found some very different opinions on the quality of the lenses. I'm scrambling to find some hoods for the lenses I have, because there's no shading the way they're mounted. I had a Rolleiflex for a while and I wasn't overly impressed with the lens quality--it was fine, but maybe a little disappointing considering the revered status of the camera. I like the C33 ergonomics a whole lot better, although no being able to see the aperture and shutter speed in a top view is a pain.

  3. #13
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    7,152
    I have the Mamiya hoods for all the lenses I have and they are all very worthwhile going to the trouble and expense of hunting them down.
    If you consider how much a Wide angle, standard and a Tele Rolleiflex cost in the days when the Mamiya C system was current in comparison to Mamiya you'll understand why the system was so popular with wedding and portrait shooters, and the picture quality was very good indeed.
    Last edited by benjiboy; 05-06-2011 at 08:10 AM. Click to view previous post history.
    Ben

  4. #14

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    USA, Pac/NW
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    368
    Forget about the Mamiya lens hoods.
    They're too expensive, and a PITA to carry around and use. When using filters, often the hoods won't fit on the lens, and the thumb screws on the side mars the finish of the lens barrel. Pure junk; just a marketing ploy by Mamiya to make extra money from unsuspecting buyers when they purchased C series camera new.

    Use rubber lens hoods, available from many sources, you may even have some from another camera or lens already.
    With step-up rings, ($3-$4 ea) I step-up from 46mm or 49mm, to 52mm. I have two inexpensive ($4.-$5 ea) 52mm rubber lens hoods;
    One wide, and one long.
    There is only minimal vignetting in the viewing lens from the hoods, NO vignetting on the taking lens, even with common, fat filters on the wides, (because I've already stepped my wide angle lenses out to 52mm), my lenses aren't marred from the clamp screws, and I don't have a bunch of square edged metal junk clanging around in my kit. The long/normal hood basically stows inside the wide hood.

    When I do landscapes and portraits, (tripod work) I have even used filters and hoods from my RZ, (77mm stuff). I just compose the picture with the bare lens, then attach the ring-filter-hood-stack as one unit.

    Here is an example similar to what I use.
    http://farm2.static.flickr.com/1190/...b253c6a55d.jpg

  5. #15

    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Toledo, Ohio
    Shooter
    Medium Format
    Posts
    142
    Images
    4
    Two comments here. First, lens hoods. I have only the larger hood (49mm I believe) and use a step up ring to adapt the 46mm thread on some lenses to 49mm to accept the hood

    Second, lens quality. I originally had a 65mm wide angle which was very sharp. I sold it after picking up a 55mm to replace it to get a wider angle. The 55mm was a bad lens. It would not produce a sharp image. I had to find a second one and it is ok, but perhaps not as sharp as the 65mm that I sold. My 80mm and 135mm lenses are razor sharp.

    Interesting though, I end up shooting 95% of my pictures with the 80mm lens. Usually I take the Rolleicord out with the 75mm lens because it is so light and easy to carry around. The Rolleicord has become my favorite camera.

  6. #16

    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    8,021
    Images
    4
    FWIW, I love the Mamiya lens hoods. I don't shoot without them. They are some of the most ideally designed lens hoods ever made. (Round lens hoods are never ideal unless shooting round pictures.) I've never had a single problem, nor have I ever paid a lot for one.
    2F/2F

    "Truth and love are my law and worship. Form and conscience are my manifestation and guide. Nature and peace are my shelter and companions. Order is my attitude. Beauty and perfection are my attack."

    - Rob Tyner (1944 - 1991)

  7. #17
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    7,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Loren Sattler View Post
    Two comments here. First, lens hoods. I have only the larger hood (49mm I believe) and use a step up ring to adapt the 46mm thread on some lenses to 49mm to accept the hood

    Second, lens quality. I originally had a 65mm wide angle which was very sharp. I sold it after picking up a 55mm to replace it to get a wider angle. The 55mm was a bad lens. It would not produce a sharp image. I had to find a second one and it is ok, but perhaps not as sharp as the 65mm that I sold. My 80mm and 135mm lenses are razor sharp.

    Interesting though, I end up shooting 95% of my pictures with the 80mm lens. Usually I take the Rolleicord out with the 75mm lens because it is so light and easy to carry around. The Rolleicord has become my favorite camera.
    I never hankered after the 65mm lens pair because it's too close to the 80mm to make it worthwhile buying even the 55mm isn't particularly wide, I bought my 55mm lens brand new more than twenty years ago and have always been happy with the performance, but as you write they have always had a reputation to be inconsistent in quality.
    Ben

  8. #18
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    7,152
    Quote Originally Posted by 2F/2F View Post
    FWIW, I love the Mamiya lens hoods. I don't shoot without them. They are some of the most ideally designed lens hoods ever made. (Round lens hoods are never ideal unless shooting round pictures.) I've never had a single problem, nor have I ever paid a lot for one.
    +1- With the exception of I bought my hoods new, and they were expensive.
    Ben

  9. #19
    Barry S's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    DC Metro
    Shooter
    Large Format
    Posts
    1,263
    Images
    31
    I just got the Mamiya hood for my 80mm and it seems well suited to the lens and camera. I've been developing my first rolls and the 80mm really surprised me--it's an outstanding lens. Even without a hood and some dubious hand shading--the images are very sharp and crisp. I was expecting a more "vintage" look for some reason, but the quality is comparable to any modern lens. The ergonomics of the C33 are wonderful--I love the way the focusing knobs fall into place while cradling the camera, and the downward release of the shutter is very smooth. I'd like to find a hood for my 55mm lens, but I refuse to pay crazy money--I'll keep hunting.

  10. #20
    benjiboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    U.K.
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Posts
    7,152
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry S View Post
    I just got the Mamiya hood for my 80mm and it seems well suited to the lens and camera. I've been developing my first rolls and the 80mm really surprised me--it's an outstanding lens. Even without a hood and some dubious hand shading--the images are very sharp and crisp. I was expecting a more "vintage" look for some reason, but the quality is comparable to any modern lens. The ergonomics of the C33 are wonderful--I love the way the focusing knobs fall into place while cradling the camera, and the downward release of the shutter is very smooth. I'd like to find a hood for my 55mm lens, but I refuse to pay crazy money--I'll keep hunting.
    They used to call Mamiya TLRs " poor man's Hasselblads", but I would think from my experience of using the system for many years that most people would be very hard pressed to tell the difference in the hands of someone who can use it by the results between that and any high end M/F system.
    Ben

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast


 

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:



Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin