Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,296   Posts: 1,535,704   Online: 932

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

SOLD - Vesta Portrait Petzval 10"

This is a Wollensak Vesta Portrait Petzval. (And if you followed the recent somewhat heated discussion about portrait lenses, YES, it says portrait on the lens itself...)

Focal length is 10", f5. Has a non-working studio shutter. The shutter leaves seem to be all present if you are a mad scientist and want to monkey with it. I just taped them out of the way. I have no idea if you could get it to work but suspect not.

There IS a working iris, f5 to f32 that moves easily. The lens is marked for 5x7, and that indicates that the 'sweet spot' covers 5x7. If you wanted to try and get aberrations, you'd probably use this on whole plate or 8x10, etc. If you want great traditional petzval portraits, then anything 5x7 and up is great. It might be too heavy for a 4x5 but would theoretically fit a 4" board.

Weighs 37 oz, about 5 1/4" tall with the sunshade. Width at threads is about 3". I couldn't get the lenses apart to clean them, but Jim Galli came to the rescue. Now, the lenses are easy to unscrew and clean or reverse (see below). Markings: Vesta Portrait Lens Series A f5, 5x7. Serial #: 2512

Lens VM, page 325: "This was another petzval, rather like the Vitax but slower and without the softness adjustment. It could be used as a long lens for big heads by removing the rear cell and fitting the front meniscus at the back - not uncommon but not all makes had the threads the same to allow it."

Price: $240 including USA shipping. Paypal is ok, although my dog prefers USPS money orders. The bank tellers give her treats when we deposit them, and being part bassett, (dog, not the tellers) she is a top quality slobberer. Some $$$ will go to Jim's Haiti relief collections. A shiny Seroco without an iris might go for twice the money, so I'm hoping (along with Uncle Sam) that someone sees what a bargain this thing is and scoops it up! Offers, trades, etc always considered. Cheers, Richard

Last edited by rrankin; 04-14-2011 at 03:46 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Well, it wasn't Gone in 60 Seconds like the movie, but it only took 4 minutes. Sold.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin