Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,956   Posts: 1,522,824   Online: 957

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

FYI - Shipping to Canada

A lot of people knew about the possible impending postal problems in Canada, but now the mail has come to a halt, according to this story on CNN. I'm sure some Canadians have a better handle on this than I do (or CNN) but thought I'd mention it here just in case anyone else also has mail to send there.

Cheers, Richard

http://www.cnn.com/2011/WORLD/americ...tml?hpt=hp_bn2

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Yup, Canada Post workers were locked out today after a series of national rotating strikes over pension issues. Air Canada is out, too. Both will likely be legislated back to work soon. Just added inducement to stay off the "Big Auction Site."

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Yeah, it's dead today: no pickup, no mail.

Over the next few days, the government is likely to put forth a special law to force the workers to accept their conditions. We should know better on Friday.
    Using film since before it was hip.

"One of the most singular characters of the hyposulphites, is the property their solutions possess of dissolving muriate of silver and retaining it in considerable quantity in permanent solution" — Sir John Frederick William Herschel, "On the Hyposulphurous Acid and its Compounds." The Edinburgh Philosophical Journal, Vol. 1 (8 Jan. 1819): 8-29. p. 11

My APUG Portfolio

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    There's always UPS, FedEx and Purolator... All more reliable than Canada Post anyway!
    -----------------------

Segedi.com

Shooter
    Medium Format
    I've always found USPS/Canada post very reliable. Not that the couriers are not reliable, but they are significantly more expensive.

Shooter
    35mm
    Quote Originally Posted by dfoo View Post
    I've always found USPS/Canada post very reliable. Not that the couriers are not reliable, but they are significantly more expensive.
    +1

And their brokerage fees can easily add $50+ to the cost!

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    No complaints about Canada Post service and their low brokerage fees. If you're into "shock and awe" fees and charges, try UPS standard to Canada from the U.S.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by CGW View Post
    No complaints about Canada Post service and their low brokerage fees. If you're into "shock and awe" fees and charges, try UPS standard to Canada from the U.S.

Personally, I've found Canada Post slow compared to Australia Post or Royal Mail, but they seemed to get the packages to and fro as they were meant to do.

IMO, as much as postal rates have gone up in the past few years, it is still a bargain to ship stuff and for all the crap, complaints and jokes postal workers seem to have to take, I think that overall they do an incredibly difficult job very well. I sent international packages by courier services (can't recall if it was DHL or UPS or what) a couple of times and each experience was unsatisfactory and incredibly expensive. So, I try to stick with the post office.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rrankin View Post
    Personally, I've found Canada Post slow compared to Australia Post or Royal Mail, but they seemed to get the packages to and fro as they were meant to do.

IMO, as much as postal rates have gone up in the past few years, it is still a bargain to ship stuff and for all the crap, complaints and jokes postal workers seem to have to take, I think that overall they do an incredibly difficult job very well. I sent international packages by courier services (can't recall if it was DHL or UPS or what) a couple of times and each experience was unsatisfactory and incredibly expensive. So, I try to stick with the post office.
    Hard to know which postal service accounts for delays in international mail. USPS/Canada Post mesh well. USPS has lost packages. Never a problem with Canada Post.

CGW

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Quote Originally Posted by rrankin View Post

Hard to know which postal service accounts for delays in international mail. USPS/Canada Post mesh well. USPS has lost packages. Never a problem with Canada Post--when they're working...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin