Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,299   Posts: 1,535,792   Online: 679

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

250 mm f:4,3 Wollaston Meniscus Lens...

This is a simple meniscus lens mounted in a PVC barrel configured to replicate the first true photographic lens invented by William Wollaston in 1812.

The image circle is 13" at f:16, so it's ok for film up to 5x7, even with some movements. Using it wide open results in a very soft and "dreamy" photo. Progressively smaller apertures sharpen the image and creates a "turn of the century" photographic look.

Five aperture cards (aka: "Waterhouse Stops") from f:5.6 to f:22 are included. They are die-cut from matboard and have a simple chart listing effective apertures at 10' and 3' focusing distances.

The lens itself is a quality glass optic in a 2-3/4" long x 2-7/8" diameter machined PVC barrel which serves as a very effective lens hood. The card slot abuts an internal light trap to minimize light spill around the edges of the card during exposure.

It's flange mounted on a simple 96x99mm lensboard which fits Tachihara, Shen-Hao, or any other camera that uses the common Technica board. If you have a different board, the lens/flange assembly is available unmounted (screws are included). I can also custom mount the lens directly to your board without using the flange. Ask for a quote.

Focusing a wide open meniscus lens is challenging, especially in low contrast lighting. A "Hints & Tips" sheet on using this lens is included. The photo's are 5x7's at f:5.6 & f: 16.

Unmounted (includes the flange & screws): $55 + shipping.
    Flange mounted on the lensboard (as in the photo) : $69 + shipping
    Custom mounted on your own lensboard: Ask for a quote

190mm, 250mm, 285mm, and 310mm lenses are also available at the same price.

A previous thread on the 285mm lens is here: http://www.apug.org/forums/forum379/...s-mounted.html

More about Wollaston lenses here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Camera_..._camera_lenses

Reinhold
    www.classicBWphoto.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 250 pmn 3.jpg   250 pmn.jpg   IMG_0124.JPG   Gazebo250PMN@f5.6..170.jpg   Gazebo 250pmn@f16..155.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wollaston Meniscus on Linhof/Technica board

Here's a photo of my 250mm Wollaston Meniscus Lens custom mounted on an after-market 96x99mm Linhof/Technica lensboard that the customer supplied

I bored the hole to 60mm (2-3/8") diameter and mounted the lens with four #3-48 flat head Phillips machine screws threaded directly into the lens barrel. This made a clean compact installation without the need for a flange. My charge was $39 for this job.

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 250 on technika2.JPG   250 on Technika3.jpg  

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Pretty cool.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Can you relate additional specifications on the other focal lengths? Are they all f/4.3 or are they in the same size barrels as the 250mm? Image circles? I'm particularly interested in the 310mm.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I'm currently making two 310mm lenses, so here are some spec's:

The clear aperture will be 58~59mm.
    Focal length, (310mm) divided by the aperture (59mm) equals f:5.2, wide open.

The image circle is at least 400mm, but I haven't had a chance to do an exact determination. (Remember, primitive, single element lenses have somewhat nebulous field of view edges, so don't expect uniform light and sharpness out to the very edge...).

The 285mm lens has an image circle of about 355mm, and a maximun aperture of f:4.9.
    I have one completed, ready for sale.

The 190's image circle is not yet settled, there's lots of wiggle room for 5x7.
    The 190's maximum aperture is f:3.3 . I have a 190 ready for sale too.

External dimensions are the same as all the others:
    The barrel is 2-7/8" diameter x 2-3/4" long.
    The PVC flange is 3-5/8" diameter, 3-3/8" across the flats, with four countersunk screw holes for #4 flat head mounting screws.

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The 250mm lens is sold.

If you need one, PM me and I'll fire up my lathe...

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Another 250, a 190 and a 310 are spoken for...

It looks like I'll be out in the shop for a while.

Thanks, everyone, for your enthusiastic reception.

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    I received my order for 190mm and 310mm lenses yesterday. I'm very impressed by the lenses and their mounts so far as well as the useful documentation and extras (anti-static cloth) thrown in. The entire transaction was quick and pleasant.

Now to get those lenses mounted on a lensboard and start using them...

Thanks again Rheinhold.

Joe

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Thanks Joe,

I'm looking forward to see how you use them to create your unique vision.

Reinhold

www.classicBWphoto.com

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin