Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,751   Posts: 1,515,849   Online: 956

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images

FS: 14x17 plate holders...do some ULF pinhole photography

I have two (nonidentical) wooden bookform 14x17 plate holders for sale. They both need new darkslides and one is pretty funky and has a hay-like odor from storage. When boxing these up for shipping, I also managed to put my thumb through the rotten plastic septum of the funky holder. The plastic septum was really rotten as was the brittle darkslide which broke upon removal. The wood also has some minor chips in places. However, the better one would not take much to get working. A couple sheets of black polystyrene would be all that was needed for the darkslides and you're in business.

I am asking $200 plus insured shipping for the pair. You can see some more pictures here:

http://smieglitz.tumblr.com/post/9392118814/14x17

I originally picked them up with the intention of making a 14x17 pinhole camera but I've been distracted by other projects. The fact that they are plate holders would not matter if they were being used for pinhole photography with paper or film since the focal plane doesn't matter in that application. Or adapt them for wetplate...

The 14x17 holders are slightly different in design. The better of the two has a rabbeted baffle at the base. I don't recall if this was an Eastman or ROC design. The dimensions for that holder are:

412mm width
    25.4mm (1") thick
    483mm distance to rib from base
    490mm length from base

The holder in poorer condition does not have the rabbeted baffle and its dimensions are slightly different:

410mm width
    27mm thick
    483mm distance to rib from base
    487mm length from base

Since the rib distance and widths are very similar, these should both work in the same camera back. So here's a chance to get 4 ULF shots on a pinhole excursion without having to return to the darkroom to unload/reload the camera after every shot.

You probably need these.

Shooter
    35mm

14x17

Will these work as film holder for a 14x17 camera?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by davidblumenfeld View Post
    Will these work as film holder for a 14x17 camera?
    You would either need to use a film septum (though I'm not sure they were ever made this size) or adjust the septum depth of the plate holder in order to use film in a regular camera using a lens. The film would need to be adhered to the septum with thin double-sided tape or a similar solution since there are no slots for the film edges to slide under.

Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hi There, Are these holders still available ?

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Yes. I still have them.

Joe

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sale pending.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sold

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin