Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,970   Posts: 1,523,514   Online: 858

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duffy
    Sean,
    By and large I agree with you. the number of posts to the "lounge" shows its popularity. If APUG were to be overmoderated to the point of "sanitation" it would take much of the vibrancy from the site.

I do think however, and I think you agree, that there are limits which need to be enforced. It is possible to post a joke that is in such bad taste that a reasonable person, or someone who belongs to the group being targeted finds deeply offensive. For examples, a sex joke that demeans women, a sacrilegious joke that demeans a religion, or an ethnic joke that demeans a minority.

It is also possible to post to a thread or a critique a remark that absolutely insults, ridicules, or hurts another person. These postings don't belong on APUG and it's your responsibility to take the appropriate action.
    Agreed, and I try my best to action them. It is very helpful when people use the "report this post" button so I can guage how much attention it needs..

Shooter
    35mm
    I'm very new here but I think it's a fantastic forum for getting information & giving mutual help. I don't have any problems with what I've seen so far and compared with one or two threads I've seen elsewhere APUG seems a model of its kind. Everything you say Sean makes sense and at the end of the day we all need to take responsibility for what we say and try and be sensitive to others.

Shooter
    Large Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Now that you mention it Jorge, it could be a good idea. On registration, everyone fills out a personality test, then based on the results of that test, personalities you clash with are auto added to your ignore list
    Make sure you fill it out too....

But I prefer the one where everyone is on mylist and I can just remove them...it should be easier for me....

Oh, and make sure that Tony guy is in it....the nerve of insulting my ott...erm...dog....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Jorge
    Make sure you fill it out too....

But I prefer the one where everyone is on mylist and I can just remove them...it should be easier for me....

Oh, and make sure that Tony guy is in it....the nerve of insulting my ott...erm...dog....
    Isn't a "ott...erm...dog" what you put ketchup and mustard on before you eat it? LOL

Sean just "hard code" Jorges into mine please

Images
    This must be happening on the back channels. I haven't seen anything all that dramatic in the forums. Maybe a few posts that were a bit cavalier and perhaps less than sensitive but when I lost interest and stopped reading them, they didn't concern me a bit.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Flotsam
    This must be happening on the back channels. I haven't seen anything all that dramatic in the forums. Maybe a few posts that were a bit cavalier and perhaps less than sensitive but when I lost interest and stopped reading them, they didn't concern me a bit.
    nothing to see or read. Some small amount of people reading more than what was written, others or at least one (I didn't say blansky) writing to bait the same group and others not being careful with their points.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I believe the Lounge and Philosophy threads must cause the most problems. You might consider isolating the above forums so that they don't show up on the recent activity list unless the member has checked them off in his/her profile. I think you've done a great job and the flaming is much less on here than elsewhere.
    Is there anything donuts can't do.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    First of all Wahh!!! Forgive me, I needed that. Sean, IT IS YOUR SITE, we are just visitors here - you do what ever you deem is needed. Come on people, if someone/subject bothers you - DON'T GO THERE. And let's not forget, this is a global community and not everyone shares the same culture. Do I think things get out of hand, SURE - but then I just use my mental ignore list (Jorge - Tony if you want I can email you a bottle of mental ignore pills ) it works almost as well as the ignore list on the site. Have used the ignore list a few times, but never on a perm. basis.

So let's all try to stay calm, Sean has a lot of film he would like to use and it is getting tough to carry a laptop with that wireless card and stay within range and still get to the beach and do some photography. After all, isn't that what WE ALL should be doing?

Seriously, I think that the group can monitor itself quite well, for those that I have offended (not sure how, but hey I can piss em off with the best of em) I apologize. Life is to short to worry about this stuff.
    Mike C

Rambles

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. Keep up the (mostly hands off) good work Sean.

As you say, we have a remarkably low-irritant environment here compared to every other nook and cranny of the net I've trawled over the years. We should be grateful for that...

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I do think however, and I think you agree, that there are limits which need to be enforced. It is possible to post a joke that is in such bad taste that a reasonable person, or someone who belongs to the group being targeted finds deeply offensive. For examples, a sex joke that demeans women, a sacrilegious joke that demeans a religion, or an ethnic joke that demeans a minority.
    The problem is that almost all jokes are centred around a winner and a loser or irreverence for a belief or lifestyle, the only way to avoid offending anyone is to not post any jokes at all. I like reading the jokes thread, it gives me an insight to different people's viewpoints and humour around the world, and if a joke includes a group I may belong to I do not take offence, I see it for what it is, a joke.

It is also possible to post to a thread or a critique a remark that absolutely insults, ridicules, or hurts another person. These postings don't belong on APUG and it's your responsibility to take the appropriate action.
    I completely agree. A critique is supposed to be constructive criticism, not an opportunity to attack or belittle someone's photographic skills. Fortunately I have not yet seen any p.net style put downs on APUG, so again this site shows it's unique community spirit.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    The second thing you can do is learning which threads you should completely avoid. For example if politics and religious discussion can lead to your getting upset, it is best you stay out of these threads at all costs. If some jokes may offend you, why go into a joke thread knowing 100 people have posted jokes and there will likely be several that offend you?
    Very good advice which should be the first Law of the Internet.

This is probably the most 'rounded', informative and helpful site I have ever belonged to. Long may it remain so. You do a great job Sean (even if some of us make it harder for you) keep it up. I hope I'm safe in saying your hard work is well appreciated by all of us here on APUG.

-----------My Flickr-----------
    Anáil nathrach, ortha bháis is beatha, do chéal déanaimh.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin