Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,710   Online: 702

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    I have had the great good fortune to be involved in various incarnations of "the Internet" for a very long time, and have either read or contributed to more forums/groups/newsgroups/etc. than I care to remember. APUG is, without a doubt, the best of these groups in every sense.

I've gotten more good advice, more good laughs, and more knowledge than I would have ever expected when I first stumbled upon this group.

Some of the credit for the nature of APUG belongs to the membership; especially to those members who bring not only years of experience but also well-balanced personalities and somewhat thicker-than-usual skin to the group. Some of the credit goes to the fact that APUG has remained a very focused community wherein we can share and learn about something that is important to us. But by far the greatest contribution to the on-going stability and value of this site belongs to Sean.

Sean has asked our opinion on topics when he (pretty obviously, anyhow) felt that the community should be allowed the opportunity to provide input into how the community is run. Sean has provided a consistent message to all of us (reinforced in this very thread) that ignoring those who upset us is the best way to handle things when threads get out of hand. Sean has offered the community guidance with a light touch rather than with a heavy hand.

Somewhere inside of me, I'd like to believe that I am usually a level-headed, reasonable person in a world in which such qualities are not always valued. Sean has shown me through his actions that level-headedness and reasonableness have a valuable place in the world.

Sean: Thank you for the work you do here on APUG. Thank you for maintaining a community that must, at least at times, make you want to either tear your hair out or throw in the towel. You have provided us a place where we can not only go to learn, but also to flourish.
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I live in a country that has seen thousands of people killed, maimed, tortured and bullied because they held the "wrong" political or religious beliefs. Fortunatly these occurances are less frequent in recent years but sadly not completely eliminated.

For me Photography and in this case APUG has been a wonderful escape from bigotry and intolerance. Analogue Photography and APUG gives me great joy. I respect each and everyones political and religious belief but I really dont want to read about it here. Political and religious comments add nothing to Analogue Photography.

We are all united in our love of Analogue, please leave all other potentially divisive discussions and comments for other more appropriate forums much in the same manner we have asked that digital discussion.

Shooter
    35mm
    My suggestion is that all entries from the Lounge and Ethics and Phil. don't show up under "recent posts". Only those really interested in getting into things there could navigate to them off the menu. I know you can just ignore them, but it would elliminate the "drive by shootings". Just a thought.

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Fintan
    ...has been a wonderful escape from bigotry and intolerance. ... please leave all other potentially divisive discussions and comments for other more appropriate forums much in the same manner we have asked that digital discussion.
    Would that not be intolerance of digital? If you don't like the subject or direction of a thread, just don't read it. Pretty simple.
    hi!

Personally, when we log on I don't think there should be anybody else's post present at all. There should just be all of our own posts, correct, santized and obviously very intelligent, then there would be no possible way that we would be offended.

Unless of course we were the type with multiple personalities, or maybe have memory issues, and didn't agree with what we said yesterday.

Then, if one day we felt really strong or bold we could have button we pressed that could have the opinions or advise of the people that we sort of liked, sort of, maybe.

Then there would also be another button that we could use when we are logging on drunk, or maybe cranky, or bloated, or hormonal, we could see the posts of those stupid people that we could argue with and abuse.

I'm thinkin that would make the site way better.

Michael
    I couldn't think of anything witty to say so I left this blank.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by ErnaR
    My suggestion is that all entries from the and Phil. don't show up under "recent posts". Only those really interested in getting into things there could navigate to them off the menu. I know you can just ignore them, but it would elliminate the "drive by shootings". Just a thought.
    I guess I understand your aversion to Lounge and Ethics. Although, I know many people who hate to lounge and others who hate anything ethical, I don't know many who hate both.

In any event, what have you got against Phil?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    Would that not be intolerance of digital?
    I've nothing against digital, I do use some digital. Doesnt excite me but I do use it.

Quote Originally Posted by bmac
    If you don't like the subject or direction of a thread, just don't read it. Pretty simple.
    It would be even simpler for this forum to just discuss Photography.

Images
    I don't agree.
    hi!

Shooter
    Large Format
    Many here have gotten upset even with photographic discussions let alone politics or religion. Trying to avoid offending everybody's sacred cows would give this forum a well-mannered but emotionless view of photography & the world we take pictures of. You have to care about your subject matter in order to create a unique view of the world. Some of the best portrait photography has shown humans with all their warts; and they likewise display the photographers' warts for its the imperfections in the world and among men that make it interesting. Let's not try to sanitize the life out of this forum. Use the tools Sean has provided ( reporting personal attacks of fellow members - though, anybody outside the group is fair game; avoiding discussion where your sacred cow is getting sacrificed); and maybe the site will remain both helpful & somewhat civil.
    van Huyck Photo
    "Progress is only a direction, and it's often the wrong direction"

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    This whole thing reminds me of the line of thought that we should sue the fast food restaurants for making food that is bad for us, and that we are helpless to prevent ourselves from eating it. If we outlaw french fries, then only outlaws will have french fries!!

I've been resisting adding my two cents to this discussion, but I think it is worthwhile to note that if something is offensive or argumentative, we can refuse to read or respond to it, and simply walk away.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin