Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,228   Posts: 1,532,707   Online: 712

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirius Glass View Post
    Oh no! Say it ain't so! Not the DELETED thread!
    What deleted thread???

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    If your site is affected by gibberish in a 300 page Deleted thread, kill it, we will be happy to start another one....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by zsas View Post
    If your site is affected by gibberish in a 300 page Deleted thread, kill it, we will be happy to start another one....
    That is not gibberish and it makes more sense than the 300 pages about making Kodachrome in grandma's chamber pot.

Siriusly, the problem will not be the long threads, but database coding problems. I have dealt with these type of software problems for many decades. It is in the database software and not the records.

Steve
    Warning!! Handling a Hasselblad can be harmful to your financial well being!

Nothing beats a great piece of glass!

I leave the digital work for the urologists and proctologists.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    I know just letting Sean know that quarantining or deleting that thread really wd not matter to us. Indexing, parallelism all fun things in DBA land are what are at play....
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    [QUOTE=Sean;1332987]one more find. this sql query is causing the remaining lag:

Copying to tmp table | SELECT DISTINCT t.threadid,t.title
    FROM post AS p
    LEFT JOIN thread AS t ON (p.threadid=t.threa |{/quote]

Trying to find out what component in our software is generating this. I think once we can get rid of that things will be a lot better.
    Left/Right/Outer joins can be expensive, more so if the tables aren't indexed for the columns being compared. Sometimes things can be improved by changing the query or by creating/managing an alternative table with less data (which can break normal form rules but I won't tell).

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    ok found the bad code in the sidebar. It was related to "My recent posts" block. I have re-enabled the sidebar but disabled that one block for now. Things seem to be running ok. I am now in contact with vBulletin, turning over all of our config files so they can help us optimize the server. The next couple days I'll be focusing on that. To give you an idea of how the large threads+bad code in the sidebar issue affected us:

The above chart is for the last 3 days. You can visually see the massive problem arise and fade away once it was resolved. I certainly learned a lot during this drama. I had never really needed to go into the database console to troubleshoot. I have a much better feel now for drilling down to issues from the server application level.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Reading SQL logs is like reading sandscript, thanks for all your 'data gnome catching'. Those 2 min loads were something. Thanks for your efforts, all seems to be zippy and smooth /*knock on wood*/
    Andy

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    running well here Sean
    thanks for the due diligence!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Still running ok. Here is another image of the performance, last 24hrs (the spike on the left is when we had the dramas), you can see on the right how it has settled and response times are fast.

There could still be a stray monster thread lurking around that will hit us again, but now that I am familiar with tracking them down the impact should be minimal.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    It's running perfectly here in Victoria, Australia now, Sean. When I saw the post earlier this morning (3-4am-ish) about database issues, I just steered clear. I can't believe how quickly you've got it up and running again. I "broke" my website numerous times when I was coding WordPress plugins and, even with just a few hundred pages to worry about, that was a nightmare. You have my sincerest commiserations. Digging through code of any type really isn't much fun and this site is massive. Thanks for all of your incredibly hard work - it's truly appreciated.

Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin