Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,963   Posts: 1,523,170   Online: 800

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

APUG database crashed, had to restore from backup..

Hi All,

Just when things were starting to ease back into place the most obscure of things crashed the entire database. In my efforts to find and purge old code that was possibly giving us issues, I removed an old plugin. Nothing unusual and something I have probably done 300 times over the last decade. Often if removal of such a plugin code gives grief it is easy to recover. In this case it crashed a key area of the database used to iron out any glitches, something I had never seen before. I had a vbulletin tech on hand a couple hours later who had also never seen such a thing happen. Anyway, after failing to recover the database I fell back to my backups from around 3hrs before. So, you may have some loss of data. As far as I can tell the restore has been successful.

Times of data loss April 23rd:
    Database Backup occurred at roughly 7pm UTC
    Database crash occurred at roughly 10:25pm UTC
    Data between 7pm-10:25pm will be missing
    here is a time zone calculator if needed: http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/converter.html

The good news is I've made contact with a highly skilled vBulletin tech who is available for some work. After catching up on some sleep I will be turning over some of the big issues to him.

I am sorry for the recent issues with APUG stability. I will continue to do my best to ensure this is sorted out as soon as humanly possible. Thanks again for your patience.

Sean

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Congratulations on having an effective disaster recivery plan in place. It could have been so much worse.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    According to your time zone calculator link, your database mishap won't occur for three and a half hours. Plenty of time to get it fixed.

I feel like i am in an episode of Dr. Who.

tim in san jose
    Where ever you are, there you be.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I don't want to get my hopes up yet, but it almost seems the database dump file and import of the backup purged some corruption. As of now the site is performing normally. Before the database restore it took me 20 seconds to get into my PM box (now it's less than a second), it also took gallery images 5-7 seconds or so to load (now within 2). Also our response times are averaging 102ms which has never been this low before (prior to the crash 500ms). If anything it will be interesting to see how long this performance lasts. Will keep an eye on it, but for now.. sleeeeeeep ZzzzzZzzzz.....

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I blame the deleted thread - or Aristophanes
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I´ve seen several vbulletin forums crash or being hacked lately, seems that one of the ways is a java enabled iframe! Check any suspicious code as the other forums have had unwelcome exploiters that inserted malicious code which spread viruses to the visitor computers

Shooter
    Large Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Sean-

there are still some wonky bits - see the Joke thread for example -

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum47/4...hread-453.html

It says there is page 454, but when you click on the link to it, it returns you back to 453.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by TheFlyingCamera View Post
    Sean-

there are still some wonky bits - see the Joke thread for example -

http://www.apug.org/forums/forum47/4...hread-453.html

It says there is page 454, but when you click on the link to it, it returns you back to 453.
    Same with http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/...ormula-10.html from
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/ ; the top forum shows "tars" has made the newest post as of today, but Page 11 redirects to Page 10 and this new post cannot be seen.

And wow, thanks for the quick response to the problem, once again. It seems you really care about this site.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by hrst View Post
    Same with http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/...ormula-10.html from
    http://www.apug.org/forums/forum205/ ; the top forum shows "tars" has made the newest post as of today, but Page 11 redirects to Page 10 and this new post cannot be seen.

And wow, thanks for the quick response to the problem, once again. It seems you really care about this site.
    It must have something to do with how user preferences are set. I have increased the number of posts per page (to 40), and I don't have any problems with all three of the example threads.

I have in the past, however, had similar problems with other threads.
    Matt

“Photography is a complex and fluid medium, and its many factors are not applied in simple sequence. Rather, the process may be likened to the art of the juggler in keeping many balls in the air at one time!”

Ansel Adams, from the introduction to The Negative - The New Ansel Adams Photography Series / Book 2

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    I am sorry for the recent issues with APUG stability. I will continue to do my best to ensure this is sorted out as soon as humanly possible. Thanks again for your patience.

Sean
    Hi Sean,

I know I don't just speak for myself here, and you've heard it before, but in keeping accordance with one of the above post's SF "Dr. Who" reference: I think your dedication to support the forum considering it's size and complexity, is more akin to "super-human" ...

Good to hear the backups did their job. I once worked for a major government organization running a huge spatial database with unfortunately outdated and even end-of-life soft- and hardware (one of the reasons I was working there: to provide insight in and plan for a major change and complete replacement of the systems with more modern equivalents). During some routine work, some person noticed the backup hadn't run properly for months on end... Fortunately, the main system had...

Marco
    My website

"The nineteenth century began by believing that what was reasonable was true, and it wound up by believing that what it saw a photograph of, was true." - William M. Ivins Jr.

"I don't know, maybe we should disinvent color, and we could just shoot Black & White." - David Burnett in 1978

"Analog is chemistry + physics, digital is physics + math, which ones did you like most?"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin