Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,536   Posts: 1,544,231   Online: 737

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Donation sent via Paypal as a Gift. Thanks for all your hard work, Sean...

Ken
    "They are the proof that something was there and no longer is. Like a stain. And the stillness of them is boggling. You can turn away but when you come back they’ll still be there looking at you."

— Diane Arbus, March 15, 1971, in response to a request for a brief statement about photographs

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I really wish I were more liquid at the moment, having just invested in a new car. Next time memberhip dues come up I'll tack on a bit extra to help out.

Thanks so much for your diligence, Sean! Would it be possible to force, from an admin level, a 'Mark Forums Read'? I understand this helps site performance quite a bit, and if it was done for all, perhaps that would tie up a lot of loose ends?
    "Often moments come looking for us". - Robert Frank

"Make good art!" - Neil Gaiman

"...the heart and mind are the true lens of the camera". - Yousuf Karsh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I just sent in a few bucks. I appreciate the collective wisdom of these forums and Sean's dedication to keeping it going. Even when limping, APUG nears the performance of some other forums I use!

"Golly, I ain't never bought no server before!"
    Last edited by DWThomas; 04-25-2012 at 07:14 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks everyone. Several donations have come through which has me out of "financial panic mode" regarding all of this. The new server has been built and is currently being tested by the new host. It should be racked and on the network in the next 24hrs. Then I would like to spend a day or so adjusting and doing a mock migration. If all goes well we should be on a (3.4ghz xeon 4core 8gb ram SSD) dedicated server within the next 3 days. I'll keep posting updates and news as I get it. Thanks again!!

Sean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Sent few bucks over....

Please have some cold beer with it when this is all done. Thanks for working so diligently on this. As an IT person, I sympathize.....
    Develop, stop, fix.... wait.... where's my film?

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Thanks tkamiya!

Current status is that the server should be on line tomorrow morning US time. I'll start work on configuring a few items and then testing a migration. If that goes through well we should be good to go. The downtime should be minimal as I'll have most all data copied over to the new server before the switch (using rsync). The basic plan:

Lock APUG
    Take a fresh database dump (5 mins)
    Copying that to the new server (20mins)
    Importing the database on the new server (5 mins)
    Final rsync of data between the servers (5mins)
    Change DNS (this varies, for some 10mins others up to 48hrs, generally a few hrs for most)
    Verify APUG is running ok on the new server + general cleanup (1 hr)
    Patch APUG forum to 4.1.12 pl1 vBulletin
    Re-open

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Update: Getting closer. The new server is up and running but we are not migrated just yet. I am working with vBulletin support to ensure we have optimal settings and applications on the server. I prefer the server is fully updated and configured before we move rather than adjust it after the move. Sometimes vBulletin responds to optimization requests within hours, sometimes it can be a day. At least it seems the core forum component of APUG is usable for the time being. I'll keep you posted. Thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Latest news: Today I have decided to hire a vBulletin consultant for our migration, he is well known as one of (if not the best) vBulletin experts. We'll be getting the top guy to ensure we are running as good as possible on the new server. Not cheap, but your donations have made this possible. I feel it is vital we get these issues completely resolved asap and if it takes a top consultant then that is what I will do. Thanks again to all who have contributed!

At the moment a few software updates are being applied to the new server, then I am running through a test migration. If the test goes well then tomorrow I will run the real migration. Once on the new server the consultant will begin his analysis of all components and adjusting the server accordingly. Really looking forward to this.

Thanks,
    Sean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    As stated in the site wide notice (top of the forums) all is going well. I have done a test migration the the new server and have a copy of APUG running on the new server. No apparent issues with APUG on the new server. Real site migration might be 5hrs from now or I'll wait until the morning. I'm leaning towards a morning migration as that gives me the entire day to keep an eye on things afterwards. We're close! Thanks.

Shooter
    35mm RF
    Images
    Outstanding! We will see you on the other side. Note I don't see any note ^^^ re the move, you say in the thread above there is a site wide notice? I logged out and back in, don't see anything?
    Andy

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin