Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,878   Posts: 1,520,324   Online: 1213

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    I tried to show my item as sold but I was unable to post and whilst I was able to edit the previous post I found I couldn't then lock the thread.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Ok, a few more kinks are to be sorted out with classifieds. I have a coder looking into this now. What I would like to implement:

-no edit time limit in classifieds
    -edit history is logged and viewable by all
    -ability to mark ad as "sold"

Stay tuned!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    -no edit time limit in classifieds
    -edit history is logged and viewable by all
    -ability to mark ad as "sold"
    If you eliminate #1 you eliminate the need for #2. No reason to change the existing edit window.

A seller can always mark an item sold by simply adding a new post in the thread.
    Any potential buyer will read the entire thread before making an offer anyway.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    If you eliminate #1 you eliminate the need for #2. No reason to change the existing edit window.

A seller can always mark an item sold by simply adding a new post in the thread.
    Any potential buyer will read the entire thread before making an offer anyway.

- Leigh
    Not now he can't unless he is outside his 3 day bump period. That is exactly what I tried to do earlier.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Ed Bray View Post
    Not now he can't unless he is outside his 3 day bump period. That is exactly what I tried to do earlier.
    OK.

What we need is another option in the Thread Tools menu that says Mark Thread Sold.

- Leigh
    “Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.” - Plato

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Last night I went to reply to a thread of a lens I just sold, I was met with the alerts installed. I like the idea!

However, I believe that if we can have the ability to edit the original listing, indefinitely, I believe that'll be the best option. It'll also allow threads to keep from going into multiple pages, especially if someone just wants to say "SOLD" or something like that...

Great idea Sean

-Dan

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by DanielStone View Post
    However, I believe that if we can have the ability to edit the original listing, indefinitely...
    Sorry, Dan, but I strongly disagree.

Unlimited editing can cause confusion, lead to accusations of inconsistency or downright deception,
    and put a large burden on moderators trying to resolve disagreements.

Any FS ad should be left untouched, except for substantive corrections during the normal edit window.

- Leigh

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Leigh B View Post
    Sorry, Dan, but I strongly disagree.

Unlimited editing can cause confusion, lead to accusations of inconsistency or downright deception,
    and put a large burden on moderators trying to resolve disagreements.

Any FS ad should be left untouched, except for substantive corrections during the normal edit window.

- Leigh
    If the audit tool can be viewable to all members this shouldn't be much of an issue (still checking to see if this is possible as currently only admins/moderators can view the edit trail). Once a classified is edited there would be a notice on the ad stating it had been edited -and ability for the buyer to expand a view and see the previous edit history (exactly what was edited). The reason this could be beneficial is if someone lists 10 items in one ad, they can edit the original ad over several weeks placing "sold" next to the individual items in the original thread. Or maybe they had originally listed a camera and lens combo, but 2 weeks later sold only the lens. If it turns out edit history shows misleading edits their access to the classifieds would be removed so I doubt they would try anything sketchy.

Shooter
    Large Format
    I too am blocked from posting a "Sold" reply to an item that sold almost immediately. I cannot edit the original post either. I'm using chrome on the iPad.

(EDIT) Actually, I'm left wondering how this works? What is the definition of "bump". What if an interested member posts a question to a classified ad...how is the OP supposed to reply? Are we to wait three days to reply?

Some thoughts:
    1)we ought to be able to post "SOLD" (case insensitive) at any time.

2) allowing the original ad to be edited indefinitely will probably eventually prove to be a very bad idea. I think it will eventually result in nefarious sellers revising the listing after the sale to ill effect. Sure, an audit trail will easily reveal their dastardly deed but, it will also add to the moderation / dispute resolution burden...and just generally lead to ill will. Who needs that crap. Yeah, we all expect everybody to behave like gentle people but there are always gonna be screw balls who think that they can get away with evil. (Notice how many people think it is ok to cheat paypal?)
    Last edited by BradS; 08-29-2012 at 10:12 PM. Click to view previous post history.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    If someone replies to a post, the OP is then allowed to respond before the bump time. I'm looking at modifying the plugin so that ad owner has access to mark the ad as "sold" regardless of bump time. Some may be caught in the middle until that is coded, but can hit the report icon and request closure or edit until then. Hope to have it resolved soon.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin