Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 70,218   Posts: 1,532,206   Online: 917

Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by modafoto
    Teletubbies are great!

I think it would be kinda cool to have TV in my stomach...
    Just make sure it's a analog one and not ....... no no no don't even go there

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Hi Sean,

I am a new member (and even newer subscriber) and I am really grateful to have this site available. I found out about this site through “Black and White Magazine” for which I paid $9.95 (Canadian). I am not knocking the price of the magazine, it’s a good magazine, but rather saying $12 USD is a little more that the cost of a magazine and well worth the price. One comment (since I am now a subscriber : ) is that it might be advantageous to keep the thumbnails of the recent photos (8 or 12) in the free area. So prospective new members can see some work.

Thanks,

Chris

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Fraser
    One comment (since I am now a subscriber : ) is that it might be advantageous to keep the thumbnails of the recent photos (8 or 12) in the free area. So prospective new members can see some work.

I think non-subscribers will still be able to view the galleries, just not post to it. In my opinion a very reasonable solution.

Images
    Welcome Chris. Jump over to the introduce yourself section and tell folks who you are. Not many people will see your intro here.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    everyone will be able to view thumbnails, thanks

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    Hi All,

The gallery has been causing a huge load on this site transferring over 4 gigs of data per day. This is a direct correlation to the peak 6,000+ unique visitors to apug daily. Sean
    Sean,

thanks for all your hard work. I put my thanks into action with a subscription just before you announced this.

I have a couple of questions--this is just for clarification, I have no doubts about how you are running the site.

1) is the problem due to people viewing the images or uploading images?
    2) if there are 4Gig transfered each day, that would mean 26,000 picture tranfers at 150K/image (if I did my sums correctly). That would be about 4-5 transfers per visitor per day, which sounds reasonable.
    3) Most images have "views" < 100. If most of the traffic is views, and there are 26,000 views a day, I would expect a lot more views/image.
    4) Is there a way to allow Google images to still crawl through the images? That might bring more users to the website. Is this a bad idea for some reason?

Again, no critique, I am just wondering where my logic is wrong. Comes from a career thinking in numbers a lot.

Matt

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Matt, I haven't had time to sit down and do the numbers but the weblogs definitely show the bulk of data transfer coming from /gallery. This was also when I had right click disabled so spiders coud not swamp us (right now it is enabled for those who want to copy their images down). It will be interesting to see what happens after the change and how much we save. I estimate 2 gig a day..

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Thanks for all your hard work, I subscribed as soon as I saw this notice. I appreciate all the information I received here and want it to continue
    Prints available in the APUG GAllery
    www.gaylarsonphotography.com

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    This was also when I had right click disabled so spiders coud not swamp us (right now it is enabled for those who want to copy their images down)...
    I'm not sure how the right-click affects spiders, but, do you have a robots.txt file in that directory? Most well behaved spiders will play by the rules if you have an exclusion file.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format
    Sean. Fantastic site. Thank you very much for all of your effort and attention to detail. I too sent you a check as soon as I read this thread even though I don't use the gallery much (no scanner). Thanks again.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin