Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,930   Posts: 1,585,368   Online: 986

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    buh-bye gallery!
    Mama took my APX away.....

Images
    Well that's too bad. While I think that the idea behind APUG is a silly one, I've enjoyed the site as one of the nicest groups of people and best posted pictures on the web. I'll miss it.

Shooter
    Medium Format
    Images
    Well, it looks like I can't even view the gallery for free. Too bad it has to come to such an elitist attitude on the part of APUG administrators. There are still plenty of free photo sites like photo.net and usefilm.com where non-subscribers can post one image per day or at least view images.
    I find it frustrating that a non-subscriber cannot even view the gallery. How would you know if APUG is even worth the money? This is bad customer relations and poor marketing.

So, good bye to all. This was a site I had recommended to my photography students to view silver based work. No more recommendations from me. Have fun in your exclusive little club.

13 Critchley Avenue, PO Box 36, Monteith Ont, P0K1P0
    Shooter
    8x10 Format
    Hmm...Bill Mitchell and rusty71 appear to be a bit hasty in condemning changes in a system where not only are the changes not yet complete, but where they are not financially supportive members. I think maybe a bit of patience is in order. Based on what I've seen since my recent subscribing, I'm sure that all genuine participants will be well looked after. That appears to be the history of this site.

respectfully

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by John Bartley
    Hmm...Bill Mitchell and rusty71 appear to be a bit hasty in condemning changes in a system where not only are the changes not yet complete, but where they are not financially supportive members. I think maybe a bit of patience is in order. Based on what I've seen since my recent subscribing, I'm sure that all genuine participants will be well looked after. That appears to be the history of this site.

Unfortunately wanting "something for nothing" is becoming quite a common attitude among certain groups in our world today.

Images
    People should learn to read. No where does it say you cannot view the gallery.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean is an individual with a full time job and a family to support. He started apug to have a few like minded people to talk about photography with him. At first apug didn't even have a gallery. For a long time, we got maybe 1 or 2 pictures a day posted. (even when we had 1000 members) Well apug has grown 5X as large. The gallery usage has grown over 1000%. Recently we have had abuses of the non digital thing, and others thinking that no matter what they should be able to down load their whole portfolio of projects each day. What has this done? it has caused major usage that has to be upgraded again and again to new servers. Who pays for all of this? At first it was Sean alone and a few who sent him donations. It was not enough to cover his expenses. Then he started to have a few banner adds. These do not cover his costs still. His time spent on this site just maintining and dealing with all the complaints and requests has soared to where he spends most his waking time when not actively working at his full time job, here working on apug. How many of us would spend 10 - 12 hours a day doing something menial like Sean is, with no compensation? Well costs soared even more, and he then asked about what we thought of subscriberships. We all thought it a good idea.

Now for those who whine about the gallery postings being only for us elitists, I say a big rousing B**l S**T We are the ones who rallied around Sean and realized this site can not exist unless it is supported. I put my money where my mouth is. I think Sean deserves that from us at least who use this site, that we contribute the small amount of at least $1 a month. But for many that $1 a month is like asking for blood. I stand behind Sean. He works hard and most often it is a very thankless job. We are over 5000 stong on this site now, and of the ones that support Sean, we are not even 300 in number. Tells me there are a lot of selfish people on this site that only whine about "IT SHOULD BE FREE!" Yeah it would also have pop up adds, and more add space cluttering up the site to the point that you would get frustrated trying to get around the darn adds.

As one of the sponsors, I do not think a 50% increase in fees would be out of liine for the numbers that come here. As for being a subscriber besides, I don't think $1 a month for free forums, and the priveledge of using the gallery is out of line either. Even students who are hard pressed for money can afford $1 a month. Been there done that.

Personally I would love to see Sean make enough off this site that once in a while he could afford to take his family out to a nice dinner. A dinner once in a while for 70+ hours a week is not unreasonable.

[/B]SUPPORT OUR SEAN![B]

btw there is only one administrator and it is Sean. No one else
    Non Digital Diva

Images
    Quote Originally Posted by rusty71
    So, good bye to all. This was a site I had recommended to my photography students to view silver based work. No more recommendations from me. Have fun in your exclusive little club.
    Lets call our club "the people who read the whole thread before making untrue statements" Or how about "the non-freeloaders" Should we start a poll?
    hi!

Images
    Brian. The first club name can't be made into a cool acronymn(sp). PWRWTBMUS is just too long. Now the second is quick and rolls off the tongue. TNFs has a certain ring to it.
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I am working on making thumbnails viewable to all visitors, should be going today. Thanks for the support everyone.

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin