Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,542   Posts: 1,572,813   Online: 983

Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678910 LastLast

Images
    Sean
    Will non subscribers be able to view the full sized version at some point, just not comment or what?
    Technological society has succeeded in multiplying the opportunities for pleasure, but it has great difficulty in generating joy. Pope Paul VI

So, I think the "greats" were true to their visions, once their visions no longer sucked. Ralph Barker 12/2004

TMG

Shooter
    Multi Format

Big Mistake !

Mark, could you explain how we can see the gallery before making a subscription !

If the Gallery of this site become a "pay before see", Sean, you are going to make a big mistake.

It's not a problem of money, and I am agree to make a subscription (10, 20, 30 $, it's not a problem) if I want to post some photos, but certainly not to see them.

This is very sad because this site is very good (Forum AND gallery).

Sorry for my English, I am French !

May be my first and last message, too bad, realy !

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Well this came as a bit of a surprise to me. I've loaded a small number of photos in to the critique gallery over the last few weeks, and now today I find I can't access those galleries, nor can I view my own pictures if indeed they are still there.

Anyway I'm not going to winge and moan about this. I can understand why there is now a small charge and that indeed running such a site is no small undertaking.

However I do photography free for a number of different organisations and groups. Basically becuase I belive in what they do, and photography is my contribution and of course I enjoy it. But I do it free, on rare occasions I get costs covered but a lot of stuff I just can't do due to time and material cost considerations.

So as it's the new year I'm reviewing costs again. I'm figuring out ways to cut costs and at the same time take more pictures.

So while I understand that Sean has no other option but to charge for gallery use, I'm afriad I'm in penny pinching mode again and I'm not going to subscribe. I have to be ruthless with costs, sorry.

If that makes me a free-loader in your mind bmac, well do you think that bothers me one little jot? Ummm, let me think, Nope.

So to the reason for posting this. Basically I can't find the images I posted. I'm unable to view my own images. No big deal and I appreicate that change takes time, however I'd be greateful if all my images are deleted from the gallery at some point in the future.

Cheers, Gareth.

www.photoecosse.net

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    I think we should just give Sean the time he needs to do the work he needs to do. He is aware of all the issues that have been raised, but, like most of us, he has to work, feed his family and try to keep us all happy. Not a fun balancing act. Things will work out, we just need to be patient.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by roteague
    I think we should just give Sean the time he needs to do the work he needs to do. He is aware of all the issues that have been raised, but, like most of us, he has to work, feed his family and try to keep us all happy. Not a fun balancing act. Things will work out, we just need to be patient.

amen

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    also, no ones images have been removed, and I will on a case by case basis help people get their images back if needed. Thanks

RAP

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    I can appreciate Sean's position and predicament. APUG is essentially HIS website and HIS labor of love to keep it up and running. I don't think to many appreciate that Sean is the only one running the show right now and most of the expenses are out of pocket, HIS! It has reaped some great rewards as the article in B&W magazine shows, also the potential for future support and promotion for analog photography.

However, to have slapped a subscription viewer only, does generate an elitist aire for the site. This has already generated some ill will amongst members. Also, those just getting interested in analog may be discouraged, feel slighted and loose interest.

Yes something has to be done to keep expenses not just manegable, but maybe eventually profitable. The questions is how to do it?

I think first the gallery should be taken completely off line and an explanation for this made clear. Sean what you initially stated is obvious as to why. This way the elitist attitude will go away and I think will generate understanding and support in the long run.

But what to do to solve the problem? Suggestions I am sure will be greatly appreciated. How about limiting up loads to 1 or two images a month, with an automatic deletion after a week to 30 days? Also, put a cap for the total amount of images the site can support without driving up expenses. Once the limit is reached, the gallery closes until disk space can be cleared out?

Just some thoughts to kick around.

(I would venture to guess that maybe someone is intentionally downloading images to run up the bills and drive APUG off line.)
    Time & tides wait for no one, especially photographers.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images

Wow!

Remember Sally Struthers doing her "Save the Children" commercials where she would say "Just a dollar a day, less that the cost of a cup of coffee"

We're talking a dollar a MONTH! That's a whopping $12 a year, or if you prefer, 0.032876712328767123287671232876712 cents a day!

Sheesh! That's the best deal in the on-line photography world.

Free? Well NOTHING, yes NOTHING is "free" - SOMEONE has to pay for the bandwidth.

APUG isn't about the Gallery, it isn't about the technical discussions, and it isn't about the bullshit sessions in the chat room or the joke threads in the lounge - it's about fellowship of individuals with a common interest in analog photography. If we can help each other along the way, so much the better, but that is just a byproduct of that fellowship.

If you only want to post pictures and have people make mindless comments like "nice shot" or "cool pix" - there are PLENTY of sites where that's the status quo. If you want something deeper, someplace where you can ask and learn from some truly talented and knowledgable folks who practice the art of exposing silver rather than silicon, there is no better place than APUG.

I happily put my money where my mouth is...
    Bob Fowler
    fowler@verizon.net
    Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by bobfowler
    APUG isn't about the Gallery, it isn't about the technical discussions, and it isn't about the bullshit sessions in the chat room or the joke threads in the lounge - it's about fellowship of individuals with a common interest in analog photography. If we can help each other along the way, so much the better, but that is just a byproduct of that fellowship....
    Right on Bob. That is exactly what I was thinking. I enjoy sharing photos, but much prefer the discussion side of things. Earlier this week when the big discussion about Photosig took place, I went over there to look. What a total turnoff!! I stick with APUG. Which is why I became a subscriber.
    Robert M. Teague
    www.visionlandscapes.com
    www.apug.org/forums/portfolios.php?u=2235

"A man who works with his hands is a laborer; a man who works with his hands and his brain is a craftsman; a man who works with his hands and his brain and his heart is an artist" -- Louis Nizer

Shooter
    Large Format Pan
    Images

subscribtion

hi Sean
    I have joined this site too late, it seems.
    and therefore didn't see this thread before now.

I have two images uploaded, and i f can't see them, I'd be glad if you removed them.

I am in doubt whether to subscribe or not. I seems to be an interesting site with a lot of dedicated mambers.
    but PayPal doesn't seem to work (at least for me) and I am not sure about sending a check from here (Denmark) to your bank...
    (It'll cost about 15$ (!!) just to make the check, and my bank don't recommend it...)

so - it seems I have to do with the forums.

this is not said because I am against your decision - just to tell you my "trouble"..

best regards

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin