Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 71,935   Posts: 1,585,610   Online: 687

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

FYI- GALLERY ACCESS TO CHANGE NEXT WEEK

Hi All,

The gallery has been causing a huge load on this site transferring over 4 gigs of data per day. This is a direct correlation to the peak 6,000+ unique visitors to apug daily. It's a performance hit on the server and our hosting plan's data transfer allowance that we simply can't allow to continue. I have no choice but to make the gallery "Subscriber" only starting 1 week from today. The subscription service will remain the same as always with rates starting at $12 per year (paypal gets 65cents of that as handling fee). You can even subscribe for 3 month blocks if money is tight. If the gallery is important to you then the $1 a month should not be a big deal.

Some may have concerns about non-subscribers being unable to show any of their work, and we will figure out a way to address this (most likely 3 images allowed to be attached to their user profile page).

There may be concerns that the forum will be next as subscriber only, but this will not happen. Essentially the forum is juggling only text as data which produces very little load and bandwidth compared to images.

There will also be a daily upload limit of 4 images per day to the gallery. All of this combined will:
    -reduce our load considerably
    -prevent mass uploads that many find annoying, also preventing new users from registering and moments later uploading 2 megabytes of images to our server

I anticipated this might happen one day, but not so soon. I think the recent surge in traffic has left us with few alternatives in some areas of the site.

I hope everyone can understand stability and maintaining costs are key to the longevity of APUG.

If you use the gallery and do not plan to subscribe, you have 1 week to copy down your images from the gallery if neccessary.

Thanks!

Sean

Shooter
    Large Format
    Images
    Sounds reasonable, Sean. Thanks again for all your effort.
    flickr--http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidagoldfarb/
    Photography (not as up to date as the flickr site)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com/photo
    Academic (Slavic and Comparative Literature)--http://www.davidagoldfarb.com

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Sean - am I correct in believing that images linked from external sites within message threads don't create bandwidth overhead for your system? How about ones that are inserted into individual threads from an external source?
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    Hi Ralph, you are correct, external img tags are not an issue.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Keep up the good work, Sean! We appreciate having this haven to come to & this sounds pretty reasonable to me!
    Jeanette
    .................................................. ................
    Isaiah 25:1

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I anticipated this might happen one day, but not so soon. I think the recent surge in traffic has left us with few alternatives in some areas of the site.
    Sean-

I just wanted to say "Thank you" for the way you've handled APUG. Although I'm hardly an old-timer here, I can say that the site has grown dramatically since I first found it, and that you have always managed the growth wonderfully. The changes you've outlined above sound great, and should work out very well.

Again, thank you for everything that you've put into the site.

Be well.
    Dave
    Film is cheap. Opportunities are priceless.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I would rather pay then have to deal with banners and pop-ups or no gallery at all.

good job sean

North Carolina, USA (transplanted from Seattle)
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Money *is* tight here, right now, but $12 is about what I pay to process a roll of 6x6 color with 5" prints, when I shoot color -- or half the price of a box of 9x12 cm film for my plate cameras.

I'm in.
    Photography has always fascinated me -- as a child, simply for the magic of capturing an image onto glossy paper with a little box, but as an adult because of the unique juxtaposition of science and art -- the physics of optics, the mechanics of the camera, the chemistry of film and developer, alongside the art in seeing, composing, exposing, processing and printing.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Very fair and balanced approach, Sean. I am one subscriber who has no problem with any of the new policies or suggested future changes in your post.

Thanks for all the hard work and patience.

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    I can't imagine anyone with the wherewithall to be doing photography and using a computer could have a problem with so modest a subscription fee. Your changes sound fair and reasonable to me. Thanks for all you do, Sean.
    John Voss

My Blog

Page 1 of 10 1234567 ... LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin