Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,999   Posts: 1,524,315   Online: 885

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

Worm attack update:

The forum may be up and down until this thing blows over. I'll post updates when I get new info. Thanks guys

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    No problem, Sean. We know you're setting hooks out for those worms, so they can "go fish" somewhere else.
    [COLOR=SlateGray]"You can't depend on your eyes if your imagination is out of focus." -Mark Twain[/COLOR]

Ralph Barker
    Rio Rancho, NM

Shooter
    35mm
    Images
    Thanks Sean!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    The listen on port 2048 servicing the test chat seems to have gone away at one point, so a lot of us are congregating at http://www.chatcircuit.com/chat/chat.html (channel #apug).

cheers,

-KwM-

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    I think we may be ok now guys. It turns out we were not attacked by a worm, but by a mass amount of search engine spiders (they hit us and pull information). For now I am blocking all of them. When things settle down I may re-activate a few of them to maintain our indexes out on the net. I had no idea there were 100's of these bots hitting us like that, it was like a flood. I may keep the gallery offline a little longer. Thanks

Shooter
    4x5 Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I think we may be ok now guys. It turns out we were not attacked by a worm, but by a mass amount of search engine spiders (they hit us and pull information). For now I am blocking all of them. When things settle down I may re-activate a few of them to maintain our indexes out on the net. I had no idea there were 100's of these bots hitting us like that, it was like a flood. I may keep the gallery offline a little longer. Thanks
    Any chance this was a deliberate attack by someone with an axe to grind? Don't mind me, I'm just being paranoid

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    doesn't look that way, it looks like MSNBOT hit us the hardest (microsofts new search engine)

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    MSNBOT seems a very hungry creature - you might want to use robots.txt to stop the sod crawling too deeply... This thread makes interesting reading (http://www.webmasterworld.com/forum97/73.htm).

Cheers, Bob.

edz

Shooter
    Multi Format

The problem is less the spiders but the site design.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    I think we may be ok now guys. It turns out we were not attacked by a worm, but by a mass amount of search engine spiders (they hit us and pull information).
    You CAN controll this via a few mechanisms, among them the robots.xt controll files and via HTTP headers and embeded metadata. Spiders that don't follow robots.txt or hit too fast you just block and be done.

Looking at your pages I notice that neither of Modified nor Expires (settable in HTTP and also via HTTP-EQUIV in metadata) have been set. This is a bad thing as beyond spiders it also increases the bandwidth demand from those using large proxy communities--- typical for these PHP hacks and mildly amusing since the earliest Webforum systems (Hypernews) of a decade ago did not make these errors.

Since, for all purposes, messages in the forum are like email messages, viz. unchanged, I'd set their expiration dates at a very distant point in the future, set the modification date to the date of the publication of the message and the cache-controll to public.

If this does not have "enough" impact there are quite a few sets of other approaches, including disalloying all spidering (robots.txt) and pushing the spiders over to highly cached summary pages, OAI (Open Archive) and RSS feeds.
    Edward C. Zimmermann
    BSn R&D // http://www.nonmonotonic.net

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    disalloying all spidering (robots.txt)
    That's what I've done to get us out of the woods for now. Might contact you in the future edz, thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin