Switch to English Language Passer en langue française Omschakelen naar Nederlandse Taal Wechseln Sie zu deutschen Sprache Passa alla lingua italiana
Members: 69,713   Posts: 1,514,691   Online: 928

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images

fyi- we'll be moving to a bigger server

Hi All,

When we went to a fully dedicated server the other day I chose the lowest spec one available, mainly as a starting point to see how it suited us. I find it is decent but have opted to move us to the next size up. We'll be going from a 1cpu with 1 gig ram, to a dual cpu 2.8ghz with hyperthreading, 2 gigs ram, dual disk, and faster network connectivity. We were offered the bigger server for only $45 extra per month + setup fee. It's hard to turn away probably 4 times the machine for only $45 extra. Usually it would be an extra $125 a month, however I think the host likes me for sending some good business his way so gave me "mate's rates" as they say in NZ. The new box will also allow the apug server to become a mini-webhost and sell webspace to members (nothing that will happen right away but eventually). The migration will happen within 5 days and the outage should only be only minutes. Later, Sean

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    That's great, Sean! Thanks again for all your hard work. I'm thinking that my subscription will help I notice there are different price levels for a yearly subscription - is that simply so that those who can contribute more can? I appreciate the clarification.

All the best!

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Blog Entries
    Images
    yes that's right, same subscription but if some want to do more they can. We are lucky to have built up our sponsors and subscribers because dedicated servers are not cheap. So far we are covering our costs well.

Shooter
    Multi Format
    Images
    Quote Originally Posted by Sean
    yes that's right, same subscription but if some want to do more they can. We are lucky to have built up our sponsors and subscribers because dedicated servers are not cheap. So far we are covering our costs well.
    Yes, great work Sean. I know what it is like to be moving code around one server to another (hmm, I think I do that fer a living!)

Images
    Sean, Hopefully you'll be able to pull some compensation for all the time and effort that you put into the site. An all-analog photography website was a bold concept that has proven itself over the last couple of years. You deserve to be rewarded in more than appreciation for its success.
    That is called grain. It is supposed to be there.
    =Neal W.=

APUG PARTNERS EQUALLY FUNDING OUR COMMUNITY:

Contact Us  |  Support Us!  |  Advertise  |  Site Terms  |  Archive  —   Search  |  Mobile Device Access  |  RSS  |  Facebook  |  Linkedin